Duke

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Maryellen, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Just picked him up. He is home. Very sleepy and wiped out.he just threw up a bit but it's to be expected. 20191213_165934.jpg The vet does surgeries same day and they come home the same day unless something happens.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I knew they sent my boys home the same day, I didn't know what they did on one as big as he is.

Watch, he'll be awake and roaring to go when everyone else is ready to head to bed.

3. Maryellen

I think he will be back to normal tomorrow. Tonight he is wiped out and still groggy. I have the gate up for the basement stairs so he doesn't fall down them.leash walks for a week to make sure his stitches heal good

4. robin416

Mine never mentioned leash walks after the surgery. I guess I got lucky because they all healed without complications.

5. Maryellen

My vets have all said leash for the first week so the stitches and incision have time to heal. I know people who didnt listen and had to go back for emergency visits when the stitches came out due to letting the dog run around. I dont want another vet bill for that. After the week is done he won't be leashed anymore.
    I guess every vet is different

6. robin416

I was wondering if the difference was that my vets were large & small animal vets. The only time my vet told me to keep one of my dogs quiet was the female that was spayed. None of them ever said anything about the boys.

7. Maryellen

Out here they all want males and females on leash for a week. Its different all over,different states do things differently. To me its safer so the stitches dont break open on a fresh wound.

8. Maryellen

He is better today,held some food and water down

9. robin416

Is he being all pitiful or back to his normal rambunctious self?

10. Maryellen

Almost back to normal, figure another day and he should be fine

11. robin416

That's always good news to learn. As much as you didn't want another I know he's wormed his way into your heart.

12. Maryellen

I didnt want a puppy as I knew it would be dumped on me for care. I wanted an older adult dog. But he is here and I'm dealing with it

13. Maryellen

He came from a byb. I prefer rescues and proper breeders that I can research and temperament test myself. I've had my share of genetic messed up dogs and I'm tired of managing issues. My husband got him cause he liked his eyes.. I'm the one that gets stuck with the fallout which is why I am so mad. He has done no training at all .it all falls on me and I work 50-60 hour's a week.

14. robin416

Yes, puppies are a ton of work. But the advantage is they grow up in your household, they learn your expectations. Learn your way of doing things.

My concern is bringing in an older dog that has never received the training or the socialization to be around others already in the house.

15. Maryellen

Yeah but puppies are a crap shoot temperament wise until they mature,some pups you can figure out quick,others take longer. adults are easy-what you see is what you get. I prefer adults as they learn faster. I've always adopted adults, I've raised a few puppies and the adults are sooo much easier. I temperament test them and bring my dogs for meets to see the reactions, and I also go to dogs in foster homes,easier to get info that way,plus I'm super picky and getting an adult dog takes me at least a few months to 2 years to find what I need. I also keep them away from my crew once here for 2 months and everyone meets thru baby gates first. I used to foster for rescue, did it for 20 years so it's easier for me to see what I need to see. I like the seniors as no one wants them and they are easy to read.

16. robin416

I feel the same way about seniors. I also was considering seniors until I stopped to think of how expensive they are as they age. I just went through that with my last one, went through it a year and a half ago with his brother. On a fixed income it's an issue.

I've made the decision no more but I'll tell you one thing, it's a decision hard to stick to. I have to consider that I'm by myself now and if I have to gone overnight, I have to rely on neighbors taking care of the animals. If I fall out then what happens to the animals? They end up back where they started.

Maryellen likes this.
  17. Maryellen

And duke is back to normal. I'm still not letting him and moe run together outside as he has one more week to go before he is allowed to play with moe

18. robin416

Is he staring out the window while Moe is out having a gay old time?

19. Maryellen

Yep lol. He tries to get out with him but I hold his collar . Moe is more behaved and trained so he listens when I tell him to stay when I let duke out. . We got alot of ice from the ice storm the other day and duke slipped down the back stairs and came back limping and not using his back leg. Luckily i have pain meds and anti inflammatories here so he has been on them now too. He is walking fine now,but with the ice still here I'm not chancing it

20. robin416

I had that happen with one of mine. It's scary as all get out. I got some of that ice melt stuff to put on the steps to avoid it happening again. It's just so easy for one of them to break a leg slipping on steps, especially old dogs.

Then she got so old we built a ramp for her to get up and down and it was covered with outdoor carpet.

How much ice? I really hate ice storms.