Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two cockerels - raised together, both almost six months old - and their male posturing has become real fighting. My poor silkie has lost lots of feathers and he does not seem interested in roosting with the other birds at this point. The showgirl cockerel seems to be the aggressor, but I'm worried about his safety, as well, because he has no feathers hiding or protecting his neck. :(

I thought that they would work out their differences, but I've begun to worry that they won't. I don't want to have to decide which one to keep and which one to rehome. :( Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

*update* I just went out to check on my silkie and he's much worse for the wear than I thought. The other cockerel has ripped most of the feathers away from his face and there was blood on his wattles. There's no way I can allow them to be out together at this point. I know he must be in pain. I don't know what to do.

·
977 Posts
I have a Silkie rooster that can't wait to fight anyone or anything . He is in his own little cage with his soul mate. My other Silkie rooster has no mean bone in his body, loves all. If you can keep them separate or I am afraid it my come to an end for one. Sorry!

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
it might be an option to make a bachelor pen for them, away from the girls, i have found out of sight out of mind for those i have had to do that with, i have 2 nearly blind silky roos that have been together since hatching, i got them from a breeder that couldn't breed them for them passing the gene on- they have a little hutch and do fine, they are next to another silky roo they seem to be friends, keeping company, so it really is a case of try one thing and see if it works- how do they act by themselves?

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
ok, just another thought, can you put them in two seperate cages, maybe a divider so they can't see each other? And for the one that is hurt, put some neosporin on the cuts.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
That is what Roos do ... they fight.

Time to cull one of them or put one of the roos in a cage. (Or find a new home for it)

Best of luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kimquat said:
I have two cockerels - raised together, both almost six months old - and their male posturing has become real fighting. My poor silkie has lost lots of feathers and he does not seem interested in roosting with the other birds at this point. The showgirl cockerel seems to be the aggressor, but I'm worried about his safety, as well, because he has no feathers hiding or protecting his neck. :(

I thought that they would work out their differences, but I've begun to worry that they won't. I don't want to have to decide which one to keep and which one to rehome. :( Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

*update* I just went out to check on my silkie and he's much worse for the wear than I thought. The other cockerel has ripped most of the feathers away from his face and there was blood on his wattles. There's no way I can allow them to be out together at this point. I know he must be in pain. I don't know what to do.
wow! this might have been me in spring! I have a mama silkie and her 8 Americauna half breed chicks, now 7 weeks old. A couple are bigger and are getting a bit of comb. most I still have no clue about sex. but the squaring off has begun. I, too, hoped order of some sort would be established without human intervention. it's rather torture for me to know I'll have to get rid of the little guys. I'm so glad you posted! I needed this heads up. Not sure how it will end for the males, but I'll do my best to separate them before there is injury. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
artsy1 said:
ok, just another thought, can you put them in two seperate cages, maybe a divider so they can't see each other? And for the one that is hurt, put some neosporin on the cuts.
about caging: I have a small tractor coop. too small for the little brood that's coming along, but perfect for what I plan to keep, so for now, they get the garage in the daytime, with supervised time in the sun and dirt close by. I hope by spring to have four layers and a rooster. (culling as necessary :( I planned to let them roam when they are 20 weeks. Rooster is relentless , but he was here first and is beautiful and funny. Hard to think of getting rid of him. Do you think he could adapt to being caged? We could go that. But I'm loath to go to the expense and effort of building if he's going to be miserable.
I guess I need some tips on controlling free rangers do they don't hurt each other. I planned for raptors and fox, but not roosters!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kaufranc ~ I'm trying to prepare myself for this. I really, really don't want to. I have them separated currently.

Artsy ~ I never even considered this - which makes me feel like a dunce. They've had several showdowns where they just posture and one backs off and that's that. Of course it has to be due to the females (I have seven girls). Most of the time, they're great friends, but have recently just started being very grumpy with each other. And today was terrible because they keep challenging each other. I have separated them, yes. I have an additional little fenced yard (my birds typically free-range) and a small coop, so it will work. I actually put a female in with the injured roo because she seems to make everything better, no matter what. I checked on them a little while ago and she's snuggled up close to him. I didn't even think about putting the boys together; I was just so worried that since the silkie was injured, the showgirl would take advantage. :( is it possible that their hormones are rampant and this, too, shall pass? The idea of giving either of them up makes me very sad indeed.

Sundancers ~ I know that this is likely the outcome. :( I'm torn, though, because I don't know how much of their behavior (the showgirl is hard on a couple of the pullets) is due to their age or if this is just what I'll have to deal with from here on out. The showgirl has shown aggression toward me as well, but seems to do a great job at taking care of the flock.

Treehouse ~ Yes, please be very aware! These little guys (while posturing and squaring off often) have never hurt each other like this before today. My poor little Fuzz (silkie) looks terrible and it just breaks my heart. What will be really difficult is deciding which boy to keep, should I have to give one up. They were so sweet not so long ago. ;_;

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Sundancers ~ I know that this is likely the outcome. :( I'm torn, though, because I don't know how much of their behavior (the showgirl is hard on a couple of the pullets) is due to their age or if this is just what I'll have to deal with from here on out. The showgirl has shown aggression toward me as well, but seems to do a great job at taking care of the flock.
aggression ~ The magic word for me ...

Once a Roo gets to the point of aggression to me ... it is time to go ... (one way or the other)

Not the answer you are looking for, this I know ... but it is what it is. (and No, it will not get better) ;)

Sorry ...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kimquat said:
kaufranc ~ I'm trying to prepare myself for this. I really, really don't want to. I have them separated currently.

Artsy ~ I never even considered this - which makes me feel like a dunce. They've had several showdowns where they just posture and one backs off and that's that. Of course it has to be due to the females (I have seven girls). Most of the time, they're great friends, but have recently just started being very grumpy with each other. And today was terrible because they keep challenging each other. I have separated them, yes. I have an additional little fenced yard (my birds typically free-range) and a small coop, so it will work. I actually put a female in with the injured roo because she seems to make everything better, no matter what. I checked on them a little while ago and she's snuggled up close to him. I didn't even think about putting the boys together; I was just so worried that since the silkie was injured, the showgirl would take advantage. :( is it possible that their hormones are rampant and this, too, shall pass? The idea of giving either of them up makes me very sad indeed.

Treehouse ~ Yes, please be very aware! These little guys (while posturing and squaring off often) have never hurt each other like this before today. My poor little Fuzz (silkie) looks terrible and it just breaks my heart. What will be really difficult is deciding which boy to keep, should I have to give one up. They were so sweet not so long ago. ;_;
oooo I SOOO! hear you :. (
I feel pretty silly being so at odds with Mother Nature. it helps that I'm not alone in wishing I could keep them all and keep them happy despite their hormones and instincts. trying to be realistic...

·
1,466 Posts
aggression ~ The magic word for me ...

Once a Roo gets to the point of aggression to me ... it is time to go ... (one way or the other)

Not the answer you are looking for, this I know ... but it is what it is. (and No, it will not get better) ;)

Sorry ...
Sundancer is rite!!!
also do you want more agressive roos?
if you breed an agressive roo you may get more agressive little roos
probably not what you want?
now if the agressive roo is fine with the hens then maybe he just needs a small flock of his own?

good luck
piglett

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Yeah, you've got 3 choices:
1. Two smaller flocks
2. Rehoming the most agressive one
3. Soup.

Sorry, but it's choices we all have made at one time or another.

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
well you don't want an aggressive roo at all- been there -you don't want the genes passed on- you could find someone who can caponize him- that would eliminate the aggression, he would act very much like a hen- an aggressive roo can kill a hen, or seriously injure you. The other options beside the freezer, would be a cage alone- being a showgirl,he could also make a good house pet- how many hens are there?some people keep trios together, a roo with 2 hens,that might be another option

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very realistic, good advice - I appreciate it, you guys. I'm planning a couple of hatches in the spring and this is something that I need to get used to dealing with. Well, either I find a way to deal with this situation rationally, or I just don't breed my birds. :)

The showgirl is a bit aggressive. He sometimes pecks the hens and also sometimes tries to bully me and attack me. He's not incredibly aggressive and he does a very good job taking care of the hens. But when I have a sweet little silkie roo who's locked up because he's not as good a fighter as the showgirl, somehow it doesn't seem fair.

I have considered keeping them separated until I can add some hens to the silkie's flock, but I know there's no guarantee that that alone will fix the aggression issues I have. I guess I was just hoping that he might be less crazy when he's fully sexually mature. Every time I look at my poor little plucked, bald-headed silkie, I feel terrible. I'm just loathe to part with either of them because I love them. /sap

·
1,466 Posts
Very realistic, good advice - I appreciate it, you guys. I'm planning a couple of hatches in the spring and this is something that I need to get used to dealing with. Well, either I find a way to deal with this situation rationally, or I just don't breed my birds. :)

The showgirl is a bit aggressive. He sometimes pecks the hens and also sometimes tries to bully me and attack me. He's not incredibly aggressive and he does a very good job taking care of the hens. But when I have a sweet little silkie roo who's locked up because he's not as good a fighter as the showgirl, somehow it doesn't seem fair.

I have considered keeping them separated until I can add some hens to the silkie's flock, but I know there's no guarantee that that alone will fix the aggression issues I have. I guess I was just hoping that he might be less crazy when he's fully sexually mature. Every time I look at my poor little plucked, bald-headed silkie, I feel terrible. I'm just loathe to part with either of them because I love them. /sap
if your going to breed you will get chicks that have to be put down
you will get way too many roos & either give them away (if you can find enough homes) or processes them. if the silkie roo is a good boy ....why on earth is he in a cage??? i would put the mean roo in a cage in a 1/2 second. if you breed the mean showgirl what will he do with all the little roos that show up? you might find 1/2 dead little roos all over the place one day when you return home.
i'm sure that's not want you want....who would?
i say cage up the wild agressive roo & put an ad on craigslist
someone will want him. if not there is always BBQ
sorry but having farm animals causes us all to make tough choices at times. i always try to ask the question to myself....
"what is in the best interest of the flock???"
your feeling, my feeling,other feelings, all come in 2nd place

good luck
piglett

·
Registered
69 Posts
you have to separate them one way or anpther it wont stop. I have a silkie and had an americauna that i had to get rid of because he was beating up silkie but silkie had to stay because he was a rescue that i had saved and he has a special place in the heart of the whole family.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope you're right, Piglett. The showgirl is very pretty and well-formed, so I believe someone will want him. I've never owned roosters before - is it normal behavior for a roo to peck at the hens? Does age factor into that behavior?

I've only got the silkie in a fenced run because he was injured and very sulky, so I've been letting him recuperate in peace with his favorite girl. I was going to swap them out this weekend and let him have the run of the yard again.

I was just saying that to my husband, actually: I just want to make the right decision.

·
1,466 Posts
a roo that pecks his hens is not a good roo to have :(
many will tell you the same, it's just not something that should ever be put up with
not where there are so many good roos out there that will not treat their ladies that way
Kimquat your a woman, would you want a man who smacks you around or a man that treats you rite & does all he can to look out for you?
you already know the answer

cage up the bad 1 & find him some other place ASAP

good luck
piglett

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kimberley ~ Yep, they are separated and will stay that way until I can rehome the showgirl or give him some more hens. >.>

artsy ~ I never thought of caponizing, honestly. There are seven hens between them and if I thought adding hens to the flock would solve the problem, I would do that in a second. I'm just afraid that if they are together in the yard (they do free-range, so there's lots of room), they will fight, no matter how many hens they get.

Fuzziebutt ~ Two flocks is an option (if it will stop the fighting) as well as rehoming. I can't do soup because a) I don't eat meat and b) he's a scrawny little fella with very little meat on him. XD Most people would probably be affronted by such an offering of meat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Piglett ~ I agree with you on that one, lol. I'm just not familiar with typical rooster behavior and didn't realize that there were roosters who did NOT pin their hens to the ground and bother the heck out of them. He really does look after them very well, finds food for them, sounds alerts when there is perceived danger, but I do believe my silkie would do all of that and still be a gentleman. I recently added a lovely faverolle to my flock and all of the feathers on her back were missing when I got her, thanks to a very overzealous rooster. I was shocked, but assumed it was all normal. :(

I will absolutely be letting my silkie out this weekend and letting him try his hand at being the big man on campus. :D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts