Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we are contemplating getting a couple of ducks? We have 6 chickens and six more on order. We love our chickens. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to having ducks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am new to raising ducks but I have found out over the last few days that they are VERY messy, but they are really fun to watch and they have great personalities! Mine are about two weeks old.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
They are fun to watch, taste good, and give eggs. Yes they are messy at first until you figure out what works for you. I currently have 7 ducks with 7 more in the incubator and 10 more to be added once this hatch is done.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Have one week in now with the 2 I brought home last Friday. They are 4 1/2 weeks old. Mine are Pekin so they are growing faster than dandelions on the lawn! Very sweet and ya, they're messy but they're worth it. No harder to care for than chickens really. After their bath/swim yesteday, they found the warm radiator in short order. Stood there the whole time drying themselves. Smart little buggers! When they were done, they went and laid down together on their towel I had for them when there swim time was done.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and we have DUCKS .....

Finally.... went to get three ducks at TSC. They were on sale $1.50 each.
Came home with 7 ducks and 6 more chicks. oh boy!:)

·
227 Posts
Thats a dangerous place TSC!!!! LOL I went to get the minimum 6 and just had to have a couple more. One day old chicks are just way to cute! Good thing I don't have a place for ducks. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
7chicks said:
Have one week in now with the 2 I brought home last Friday. They are 4 1/2 weeks old. Mine are Pekin so they are growing faster than dandelions on the lawn! Very sweet and ya, they're messy but they're worth it. No harder to care for than chickens really. After their bath/swim yesteday, they found the warm radiator in short order. Stood there the whole time drying themselves. Smart little buggers! When they were done, they went and laid down together on their towel I had for them when there swim time was done.
Do your ducks have the run of the house? I have 3 khaki Campbell's and 3 Rouens and they are the most skittish little things. Trying hard to win them over without making them panic or scared. The Pekins are just adorable!

·
977 Posts
7chicks, they are so cute! One is definitely bigger then the other huh! I miss the yellow fuzz they had. Seems like the white took over to quick!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
7chicks, they are so cute! One is definitely bigger then the other huh! I miss the yellow fuzz they had. Seems like the white took over to quick!
Thanks. :) They've grown so much! Been introducing to the chickens outside this week since it's finally been nice out. Chickens spent the first two days running away from them. Yesterday, some ran away, some just ignored them. No problems with the chickens going after them like I thought they would. Ducks are so noisy though that they don't like it! :D Put them in the coop last night for the first time. Have them separated though since they kept going to lay under the perch. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Do your ducks have the run of the house? I have 3 khaki Campbell's and 3 Rouens and they are the most skittish little things. Trying hard to win them over without making them panic or scared. The Pekins are just adorable!
Goodness no! :eek: They poop waaayyyy too much! They have a limited spot in the bathroom after "bath" time to dry themselves where its nice and warm then its back to their bin.

After 2 weeks with them, mine are still skittish and run away from me. Definitely more hard-headed than my chicks were. I still pick them up anyway while they kick and scream. After a minute or two, they do settle down and find being held really isn't so bad after all. ;) I keep trying treats and they'll take them then run away again. Brats! :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, all,

Ducks are the cutiest things in the world!
I have two runners, Biscuit and Cookie.
They live free range, so it doesn't matter if they're messy ;)
But they sleep inside the house at night, and they don't smell too bad,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hey, all,

Ducks are the cutiest things in the world!
I have two runners, Biscuit and Cookie.
They live free range, so it doesn't matter if they're messy ;)
But they sleep inside the house at night, and they don't smell too bad,
VERY CUTE!!! How long have you had ducks? I so new yet. Going on 2 weeks today with my 2 Pekin. I've been trying to read up everything I can on them between web research, here, and another site I used to go to all the time when my chickens were babies 3 years ago.

·
Registered
130 Posts
7chicks said:
Goodness no! :eek: They poop waaayyyy too much! They have a limited spot in the bathroom after "bath" time to dry themselves where its nice and warm then its back to their bin.

After 2 weeks with them, mine are still skittish and run away from me. Definitely more hard-headed than my chicks were. I still pick them up anyway while they kick and scream. After a minute or two, they do settle down and find being held really isn't so bad after all. ;) I keep trying treats and they'll take them then run away again. Brats! :p
That was my thought... So messy!! I have seen a lot of pics of full grown birds in the house and think "oh gracious that must be hard!" My chicks and ducklings are in the house until they are old enough to join the outsiders, but in a brooder. I love that I can snuggle and love the chicks and laugh at how scared and skittish the ducks are. Such a huge difference in personalities!!!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
That was my thought... So messy!! I have seen a lot of pics of full grown birds in the house and think "oh gracious that must be hard!" My chicks and ducklings are in the house until they are old enough to join the outsiders, but in a brooder. I love that I can snuggle and love the chicks and laugh at how scared and skittish the ducks are. Such a huge difference in personalities!!!
Mine are inside only till they get old enough as well. I wasn't planning on getting ducks but darn it, they were so danged cute! I've been letting them out with the chickens this week to check out the yard and get adjusted a bit to the chickens. Tried them in the coop last night. All was well until they decided they were going to lay "under" the perch! :eek: I put them in their "bed" they had been using when in the house and put a divider up so they couldn't lay under the perch anymore. Hopefully I'll be able to find a way to keep them from wanting to lay under there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
7chicks said:
VERY CUTE!!! How long have you had ducks? I so new yet. Going on 2 weeks today with my 2 Pekin. I've been trying to read up everything I can on them between web research, here, and another site I used to go to all the time when my chickens were babies 3 years ago.
Thanks! I love them soo much.
I've had them for two years now, but I'm still not sure that type of duck they are. The breeder I got them from says they're runners, but they aren't "bottle shaped". Anyhow, Pekins are adorable! Have fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts