Ducks Duck with laying issue, Help please

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by CloverDuck, Aug 22, 2013.

1. CloverDuck

CloverDuck New Member

I have a newer female duck that is laying eggs out of sequence.
    She's is a pekin around a 1 1/2 yrs old and we got her close to a month ago (we got her with a male, but we had to get rid of him, we already had a male:()

She is laying soft shelled eggs but they stared getting a little harder, ( i still need to make a bowl for oyster shell for her). But that's not the problem.

This has happened a couple times in the past several weeks. I let her out of the duck house in the morning and find an egg, not real hard but solid enough that it wasn't crushed, but then later that night before bed i find another egg, usually broken on the ground (doesn't form a hard shell).

So that makes this girl laying 2 eggs with in a 24 hr period :confused:

Other things going on, Once we got rid of her male she seemed fine. We have a male hatched this year but he must still be too young because he doesn't actually breed with the girls he just chases them away or bites there necks, never mounting.

So i guess because our male isn't doing his job this girl is usually getting on top of the other female acting like a male.:eek:

Not sure if its her hormones that is messing up her reproductive system or not, or if it was the stress of moving

We also are treating her feet with bumblefoot (one foot at a time) so we change the bandage when needed, she doesn't really like to be grabbed.

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Just give her some crushed egg shells and extra niacin. Anytime a duck is going thru something tramatic or is injured the extra niacin gives them a boost. As for the male, its not mating season, most likely he is just courting. As for the soft eggs, the egg shells and niacin should give the boost she needs. Now for the 2 eggs a day , is there a possibility that another member of the flock could be laying it?

3. CloverDuck

CloverDuck New Member

It is her laying the two, we only have two females and we can tell them apart by the shape of the egg. The female that is fine lays normal everyday, but i'll get some niacin and be sure to get the egg shells in there as soon as i can