Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Grumpy Farms Chicken & Duck eggs
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lg. drake Peking duck that has been just fine till this winter. About 2.5 months ago he started limping and has gotten way bad. Now he just lays in the yard and does nothing. He eats kind a pig. He can get on the tips of his feet and flap his wings really hard to get where he needs to. I have found no signs of injury anywhere on his body. What should I do? I've have this duck for 2 season now.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
I know that chickens can get bumblefoot, like a thorn or sore on their feet. Are you sure he doesn't have anything wrong with his feet? Try putting a low dose aspirin in his water, and see if he gets a little better. If he does, then he is in some kind of pain, maybe hurt himself landing or something. Is there an avain vet close by you that you could take him to?

·
977 Posts
Do you think he may be to heavy? My male Peking is bigger then the girls but he isn't massive. Sometimes he limps too but I think he gets carried away with the girls or slips and twists it wrong . I never see any sores, and after a few days he's fine.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been watching him. He hasn't moved from the feeding whole back by the chicken coop. When he stood up today his right leg and foot is aimed inward the left leg and foot are aimed straight forward.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wondering the same thing myself. Ill try it. If it don't work I'm going to
Put him down. I don't like seeing him suffer. I've got to go pick up a rooster that flogs the crap out of a friend of mine and his wife everyday. I think he will be in the pot this weekend.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is still in bad shape. He spends as much time as he can in the pond. Only comes out of the water when I go to feed them. It hurts me to watch him try to walk when he does get out of the water. To keep up with the rest of the ducks to the feed area he flaps really hard. I'm probably going to put him down soon. I don't know.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still not walking, but uses his wings the best he can to help get from the pond the the feed area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts