Ducks Duck eggs

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by Kenzie63, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

When ducks lay fertilized eggs do they lay a bunch at once or could it just be one?

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Just like chickens ducks will lay 1 egg at a time but will save them up before sitting on them. It takes time for the egg to form inside the duck and chicken.

3. BaldTC

BaldTC New Member

Duck eggs for eating? And do they need an elevated laying box like chickens do? Can you house them with other birds?

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

We didn't house the ducks but gave them free range.

As for nesting they found and used two old truck tires that we use to keep water buckets in. (to keep them from being flipped over.) We also had one to take over the dog house. :p (The dog was not happy but as he ended up with a new house it worked out for both.)

Best of luck ...

5. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Are duck eggs better for cooking with or eating?
    I have heard they are better for cooking but can you eat them?

6. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

I LOVE my duck eggs!!! I cook em over easy and they're deelish!!! I've also heard they're great to bake with.

7. CharlieEcho

CharlieEcho Junior Member

Baking;

Our ducks try to hide the eggs on us. My wife likes to use the duck eggs for baking. Specially noodles. She claims it makes them taste better. I'm not cook.

We cut a plastic 50 gallon drum in half and the cut an opening for the duck to go in. We also filled it with straw and the duck seems to think its a hiding place. Otherwise she hides them in the corner of the hen house under the bedding.

8. DominiqueChickens

DominiqueChickens New Member

I have 6 Ancona ducks. Their eggs are great for eating. The shells are bigger and harder than chicken eggs. And the white in the egg is stickier which I suppose is why they are good for baking. They make cakes fluffy and rich.

9. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

We have 3 Peking ducks. The 2 girls lay an egg everyday. Is this normal for a duck to lay everyday? They lay better then my chickens do!
    Not complaining, I love getting 2 duck eggs a day!

10. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Totally normal. Pekins lay like 300 eggs a year. They are awesome layers.

11. WaterFowl209

WaterFowl209 Junior Member

ive heard duck eggs taste strong compared to chickens for cooking like fried eggs but are great for baking because of the whites in their eggs but i yet to try em

12. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I taste no difference between duck and chicken eggs. The only difference is the amount of egg white to yolk ratio. With ducks there is tons more white than a chicken egg, that why their better for baking.

13. AlexTS113

AlexTS113 New Member

Do ducks lay eggs every day?

14. Apyl

Apyl New Member

My pekin lays 6 days a week while my mallards lay probably every other day. I have 3 female mallards and get 1 and 2 eggs a day.

15. tdeal123

tdeal123 Hoosier Henster

Peking and Runners

I get an egg/day each out of two hens - one Peking and one Runner. I made simple 12x12" boxes - about 4-5" high. No bottom - they just sit on floor of duck house. Straw and the box help keep eggs cleaner. We use duck eggs just as we do our chicken eggs! Good conversation topic when we share eggs (and food) made with duck eggs...