Ducks Duck eggs

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by 444lover, May 3, 2018.

1. 444lover

444lover Member

The 5 remaining duck eggs I have in the incubator are coming along. They're on day 15 and I just candled them again,there's movement in all of them. Hopefully after 3 tries I may have some luck this time. Got my fingers,toes,ears and eyes crossed.....don't ask about the ears though :D

chickenqueen, Maryellen and Sylie like this.
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

I hope they all come through kicking and peeping! I would love to see babies!

444lover likes this.

3. Sylie

Sylie Active Member

So exciting! I bet you are thinking about them constantly, I know I would! Good luck with them!

444lover likes this.
  4. 444lover

444lover Member

Yeah I am,finally got some that just might make it...hope...hope...hope

Sylie likes this.
  5. 444lover

444lover Member

Oh I'll post pics for sure if they hatch.

Sylie likes this.
  6. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I have everything crossed,too!!!I've got another hen that is broody(I don't want/need more chickens!!!) but it's almost impossible to make the Cochins stop setting.I also have a goose nesting,I don't need/want more geese,either,but when approaching the nest you take your own life in your hands.So they get to do what they want except roam the neighborhood.

Sylie and 444lover like this.
  7. 444lover

444lover Member

Luckily so far I haven't had to deal with that. Whenever the ducks start trying to nest I just take the eggs when they get off and the geese,or goose now,hasn't even laid any eggs. I guess they're males.

8. 444lover

444lover Member

I candled them again tonight,1 died just after some blood veins formed. 1 of the other 4 hasn't formed as much as the other 3 but it's still moving. By the air pockets it's looking like my humidity is still too high and I've only been keeping it around 30-35%,guess I'll let it drop to mid 20s,that's as low as it goes. Some days it's in the 40s without any water in it.

9. chickenqueen

I hope the remaining ones hatch.I know how disappointing it is to have to discard the non-viable eggs.We all know how disappointing it is.I would think waterfowl would need higher humidity but I know nothing about hatching waterfowl.

10. 444lover

444lover Member

Well that's what most people who hatch them say too but I've also saw a few that said they didn't need much,at least until they're ready to hatch. I'm not too confident in my hygrometers to be real accurate and have 1 that's suppose to be here by Thursday but I can't imagine the ones I have are too far off,maybe 10%,because they read close to each other. The first week I had them in there I kept it at around 60-65% because most say that's where it should be. But after the first time I candled them I dropped it down to about 40-45%. This last week I've only been keeping it in the 30-35% range. There's never much difference in the air bubble from the time I candled them the time before,in fact none of them had changed at all last night. For the next few days until lock down,I'm going to let it stay in the 20s.
    I hope they hatch too because I'm just hatching these for my neighbor and since the display went out,I'll have to but another incubator to hatch any more and won't have the money until July probably.

11. chickenqueen

Bummer!!!I know how expensive incubators are.My next door neighbor bought the bator and I bought the egg turner and other accessories and I did all the work.Then we split the babies.She was elderly and I collected her eggs for her because the hens would peck her and cause really bad skin tears.She passed away and I really miss her,she was a good neighbor and taught me a few things.

444lover likes this.
  12. 444lover

444lover Member

I know what you mean,my neighbor I've known my whole life,we bought this place off his mom and dad back in 1950,just passed away in January. He's very much missed.

chickenqueen likes this.
  13. 444lover

444lover Member

All 4 duck eggs are still alive but for some reason 1 isn't filled out as much as the other 3. Only 1 more week to go ;)

14. chickenqueen

It's gonna be a long week.

15. 444lover

444lover Member

Yep....Very long.

Maryellen likes this.
  16. chickenqueen

Do duck eggs take 28 days like geese eggs?

17. chickenqueen

18. 444lover

444lover Member

Yep, especially if it's like my last 3 tries,for nothing. Course I have been learning something...... I hope. :confused:

chickenqueen likes this.
  19. chickenqueen

Practice makes perfect.I didn't incubate my goose eggs because I found it to be a little too intimidating for me.

444lover likes this.