Drunk silkie?

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by amandahalterman, Oct 22, 2012.

1. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

MY beloved silkie hawk ( hen) has been acting weird for the last 2 days, she is not running around like normal, kinda keeping to herself, she is eating and drinking, and when I let them out this evening to run around she came out, there is no sign of injury, or sickness, her eyes look clear, and her nose is clear on the right side but looked wet in one nostril, but it could have been water from her getting a drink, she is breathing fine, she's just been looking not herself, looking to the ground and tilting her head weird like she's drunk, any suggestions would be great, I can try tomorrow to video her if anyone wants to see what she's doing, and she isn't constantly doing it either,

Attached Files:

2. amandahalterman

She is also pecking at corn on the ground that's not even near her, she's completely missing it

3. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Have you isolated her? That's the first thing you should do, quarantine her and monitor closely.

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I agree. I would isolate her. Do you have and/or have you ever used a stethoscope? I would be interested in what you hear on her chest? First things that come to mind for me are Mareks or respiratory disease (pneumonia.). Have any antibiotics handy? If not look up the garlic thread and use some of that.

5. amandahalterman

Should i go get antibiotics? I have garlic salt and garlic powder, should I mix it with her water or food? Or should I go buy garlic cloves? I'll separate her tomorrow morning, I'll have to set up another quarantine cage, I already have her sister ( the silkie with the sore bottom) post ( partial prolapse vent) healing in the garage,

6. amandahalterman

Also what antibiotic would u suggest I get?

7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

It sounds more neurological to me. She may have taken a hit to the head sometime lately, or have a vitamin defiency.

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I agree neurologic. But to the cause....
    Fresh garlic from farmers market or grocery store. One clove in water and give small amounts. What meds to you already have?

9. amandahalterman

I dont have any meds, never had to give any, only got the chickens in feb, none have been sick,

10. amandahalterman

I would hope nothing like that happened to my baby, ( hit to the head) this is my favorite, most spoiled chicken, we give her love everyday, the kids even try to bring her inside, she is so calm, our 18 mth old daughter can pick her up, she falls asleep in ur lap, we just love her! over the summer she was attacked by something and I found her in the coop with half her throat ripped open, surprisingly we nursed her back, and eventually put her back in with the flock, about a wk later it to happen again, so we took her out again and started over again with her healing, once she was fully healed we put her back in with the others and for mths she's been fine, till 2 days ago.....

11. amandahalterman

What about inner ear infection? Or poisoning?

12. adorson

adorson New Member

It sounds like it could be the start of wry neck. You can give vitamins and I also give additional vitamin E. Another thought is, Can she see OK? I had a blind silkie that would hold her head in odd positions to hear things. If she can't see at all or well, it means she isn't getting enough food or water which can also lead to wry neck because of a vitamin deficiency.

13. amandahalterman

She can see, and there is a kids plastic swimming pool filled with water in there yard and I have 2 large lasagna Tins with food in them, plus they have scraps because they steal food from the pig, so I'm not really sure, I will separate her today

14. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Vitamin E is what she would be missing if it is a vitamim defiency causing wry neck, you could get it and dissolve it in water for her. A fish oil capsule opened and drained into her mouth will help as a steriod also. I am not sure on dosages, someone else will have to help you with that.

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

How is she today? Any changes?

16. amandahalterman

She seems Alittle better today, I have her in a separate cage in our garage, i haven't let her out to see if she is till doing it or not, they are cutting corn today so it's real busy outside today

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

It's good that she is safe and protected. Post again tomorrow with an update, please.

18. amandahalterman

Ok I will thanks for all the advice!

19. amandahalterman

Hawk has been in the garage for a couple days now, still not showing any other symptoms, and still doing the same things, hawk is on the right looking at its sister inside another cage, ( she's the silkie with the sore bottom thread)

Attached Files:

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Eating and drinking normally? Stool and discharges?