Chicken Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the best I could taking pics of them. I have 3 khaki Campbell's that I believe to be all hens...? And the 3 Rouens that have me changing my mind everyday!!! They are all 6-7 weeks old.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
At this age you wont be able to visualy see a difference. Its all in the quack. Females do a loud "quack". Boys do a raspy low noise.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apyl said:
At this age you wont be able to visualy see a difference. Its all in the quack. Females do a loud "quack". Boys do a raspy low noise.
Argghh!!! Haha! I can't really tell. I'm so anxious to know its killing me!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apyl said:
How old will they be before its more obvious?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
You should be able to tell by now. My 5 week old ducklings are all qucking with their adult voices. I have 4 week old rouens that are starting to have voice changes too.

Here is a video of my oldest pekin when she was 4 weeks old. She found her big girls voice, the black duck with her is a mallard ( I know wrong markings, but yeah he's a mallard) and he was 3 weeks old but did not have his big boy voice yet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apyl said:
Where did you get your Rouens ? They look like mallards.
Thanks. I got my Rouens from TSC. From what I read Rouens are domesticated mallards. Bred to be slightly bigger so they do not fly more than 100 feet. So no migrating. And from the pics I've seen, they all do look like mallards. Just bigger. I am new to ducks, so I hear a difference in the quacks, but don't know which is which. Maybe if I can figure out to link a video like you did I will be able to get each one and you can try to tell me!! LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Thanks. I got my Rouens from TSC. From what I read Rouens are domesticated mallards. Bred to be slightly bigger so they do not fly more than 100 feet. So no migrating. And from the pics I've seen, they all do look like mallards. Just bigger. I am new to ducks, so I hear a difference in the quacks, but don't know which is which. Maybe if I can figure out to link a video like you did I will be able to get each one and you can try to tell me!! LOL!!!
Oh I know, I have rouens & mallards. I was just saying because rouens have 2 full stripes on their heads and are much larger, they get to about 10 pounds so should be growing faster than the Khakis. Mallards on the other hand have one full stripe on the top by their eye and a broken line on the bottom. Domestic mallards get to be about 4 pounds. Khaki Campbells grow to be about 4 pounds as well. thats why I was asking, cause all your ducks are about the same size.

Oh and rouens dont fly at all. Anbd dont worry about mallards migrating, as long as you give them a good home and they feel safe they dont migrate. None a single one of my 7 mallards migrated, but we did loose 2 to a bald eagle while in flight. Sure they fly everywhere but they dont go out of site of the property.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Here are one of my mallards as a ducklings and one of my rouens as a duckling.

First pic is a mallard duckling, see how it has a second broken line on the face
The second pic is of a Rouen, see the sold lines. This is what I was talking about.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I just remembered that with mallards ( not sure with rouens since our only female is young still) the female will have a greenish beak while the male a yellow beak.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is interesting. My khakis and Rouens were bought in the same day at TSC. The khakis grew twice as fast as the Rouens and are huge! The Rouens follow the khakis and the khakis seem to be content to watch over them like they are their children. I see the difference and know I am not sure what the Rouens actually are. Mallard? I love TSC but I know the staff isn't a trainer as they should be to be selling all the different breeds. I have 8 chicks I bought as Ameraucanas and I do not believe they are true Ameraucanas. I am thinking EE's. Their chick pics and now the current pics resemble more the pics of EE'S I find. This doesn't bother me much as it is the colorful eggs I am after. ;) But now my curiosity is peeked about the ducks. All my khakis have a khaki dark bill. And all the Rouens have different bills with different markings. And then there's the one that has just been odd colored from the start. He (or she) is the one in the pic. The light brown one in the back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I think any store that sells chicks/ducklings/ect should train specific employees to deal with those sales only. It's rediculous how they know nothing but will tell people what they should or shouldnt do with the babies. Just like the tank tags too, the employee in charge should make sure the tags are right. They tend to leave the tags up from previous weeks. I know here they just use generic tags at our TSC this year, the duckling tag just listed a bunch of duckling breeds on it but they only had pekins in the tub . Last year they switched breed each week and left the mallard tag up the entire time. lol as you can tell it bugs me how they do their chick days lol.

Oh look what I found just now :)

You won't be able notice the difference until 4 to 6 weeks of age. As they grow you will see a gradual change as the color deepens. Then one day it will be just as plain as the bean on there bill :)

Here are the adult bill and bean colors:
-Dark Khaki Campbell Drakes has a bluish green bill and black bean.
-Light Khaki Campbell Drakes has a yellow bill and a medium brown bean.
-Dark Khaki Campbell Hens has a slate gray bill and bean.
-Light Khaki Campbell Hens has a slate gray bill and carmel colored bean.
-I have one Lighter Khaki Campbell Hen who dosen't quit fit the standard, she has a medim brown bill and a carmel colored bean. She's very cute and sweet.

http://community-2.webtv.net/saraarmstrong/EggDucklingHelp/
If you scroll down the page they list more ways to tell the sex for Kahaki cambells too.

I am so bookmarking this page. I have had a heck of a time incubating duck eggs and this site also tells about doing that too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh thank you thank you. You always come through. I am more convinced then ever all my khakis are hens!!! Now to figure out what is up the Rouens/mallards. So confused by them now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Rouens/mallards have ONE facial stripe. The light odd colored one (Sandy Bottom is its name) has a pale orange-ish brown and gray bill. Jeffery has a slightly brighter orange bill and the other has a more yellowish bill with grayish markings on the top.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have spent all day outside with these crazy birds! Phone in hand to compare pics and quacks. I'm feeling obsessive about this! My 3 khakis are hens... 99% sure. Which makes me happy because they are good egg layers. And the others I am more convinced are in deed mallards. 2 drakes and a hen. Although the quack of one tentative drake seems suspicious... But he is getting a distinctive green sheen on the top of his head. I am going to chill now until they are older and time is on my side!! LOL!! But if I do have 2 drakes and 1 hen, is this going to be a problem for my poor hen? And do ducks "go broody"?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
As long as your keep all your ducks together there shouldnt be an issue. Mallards like to pick one mate (sometimes 2) and stick with them. So with 4 total females your 2 males will be set. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry, have to seriously disagree with the statement that domestic drake Mallards (or any other of domestic drake duck) will pick one or two hens and stick with them. Domestic Mallard drakes (or any other domestic drake duck) will mate with any and all hens that will sit still. Geese will pick one mate, not ducks. Your two drakes will run those hens to the ground.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Sorry, have to seriously disagree with the statement that domestic drake Mallards (or any other of domestic drake duck) will pick one or two hens and stick with them. Domestic Mallard drakes (or any other domestic drake duck) will mate with any and all hens that will sit still. Geese will pick one mate, not ducks. Your two drakes will run those hens to the ground.
Interesting, sorry I was only going by what my flock of domestic mallards do. My two drakes have their fave girls that they mate with, walk with, and follow around . I've never seen them mate with each others girls. Even when they sleep each drake is surrounded by his own girls. Now my Rouen drake will mate anything that walks by.
I will keep your post in mind next time I give advice thank you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts