Chicken Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hoosier Henster
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My year old male Pekin is soooo aggressive, dominate, against a specific (low order) Runner male that I've had to separate them for fear of death. I think, hope its seasonal, at least a bit as they all (2 hens, 3 drakes) seemed to be pretty compatible over the past year or so that I've had them. Interesting a male Runner is mating the female Pekin, but with no retaliation from the king of the run (male Pekin). Can't we all just get along?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I'm going through the same thing right now. I had to put my Rouen pekin mix in a different pen so he wouldn't kill one of mallard females. I'm hoping it's seasonal as well.

·
Hoosier Henster
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Three deep! My drakes were stacked up yesterday in quest for male domination! A running duck on bottom, big Peking holding him down followed by the other Runner on top of the stack. Wish I had a pic for you. Normally I keep breeds separate, but found I'm now always in control.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
We've had that here too. I think sometimes you just have to let them figure out the order. I have 3 males, when my rouen/pekin mix mates with one of the mallard hens my mallard drake bites at him. There hasnt been any blood drawn so I've been just letting them do their thing. Every now and again my rouen mix just becomes plain annoying with his aggressiveness towards to other so I will grab him and put lock him up for a few hours. Or just grab him by the neck to make him stop going after who ever he has his eye on at the moment. I'm hoping mating season settles down soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts