Chicken Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Oh okay as long as its not an issue. Google makes me think cancer or health issue wanted clarification. Thankyou so much hope u have a good day.
I am having an opposite problem. My Golden Comet is now 2 years old. The day she turned 15 weeks old she started laying a big beautiful brown egg every day. Starting about a month ago she began to lay every other day. two weeks ago she began slipping eggs, laying eggs that the shell was splotched and today laid an egg without a shell. Any advice on what could be going on with her. She acts fine otherwise. Still a bully and still wanting me to hold and cuddle her.

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
I am having an opposite problem. My Golden Comet is now 2 years old. The day she turned 15 weeks old she started laying a big beautiful brown egg every day. Starting about a month ago she began to lay every other day. two weeks ago she began slipping eggs, laying eggs that the shell was splotched and today laid an egg without a shell. Any advice on what could be going on with her. She acts fine otherwise. Still a bully and still wanting me to hold and cuddle her.
What kind of splotches on the shell. There could be a number of things going on.

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
If she's not going into a molt you might be able to help her by putting her on Calciboost for goats and a D3 capsule once a day. I'd go with a half CC of the CalciBoost for a week or so. See if that doesn't help her.

That's if nothing else is going on. Unfortunately this is about the age that hatchery birds can begin to experience egg laying problems.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If she's not going into a molt you might be able to help her by putting her on Calciboost for goats and a D3 capsule once a day. I'd go with a half CC of the CalciBoost for a week or so. See if that doesn't help her.

That's if nothing else is going on. Unfortunately this is about the age that hatchery birds can begin to experience egg laying problems.
Thank you I will

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
If she isn't hollering at you when you get close then she's not broody. If she's having trouble laying you can try give her a nice warm soak. It seems to relax them enough to help them if an egg is being a problem.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If she isn't hollering at you when you get close then she's not broody. If she's having trouble laying you can try give her a nice warm soak. It seems to relax them enough to help them if an egg is being a problem.
I am taking her to the vet in the morning. She is just standing in the box. She came out and drank water like crazy and went back in. She didn't roost tonight. Still in the box. I am afraid the shell from the egg may still be in her. You can tell she feels bad.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am hoping our vet will see her. If not all I know to do is what you said about warm baths and calcium.
We went to the vet this morning. She is not egg bound. Muscle mass great. tested for Avian Flu (negative). No fever. She couldn't find a thing wrong with Maggie. She fed her a few Captains wafers which she gobbled down. On the way there she sat down on a shallow box, On the way back she stood up in the front seat and looked around. The vet recommended giving her sugar water to drink. She is running around, jumping up in my lap and acting normal. She has not laid an egg today. The vet said she may just be ending her laying as some chickens give out at about two years old. I don't care if she never lays another egg as long as she is alright. She seems to be better and that is all I care about. She is my girl and I love her.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You have a wonderful vet and I'm so glad to read that she feels so much better.

They keep us guessing.
She really is. She was so gentle with Maggie even when she felt up inside of her. She really is a good one. I had to drive to another county. None of our four "so called " vets in our county will see chickens. We really need more vets that will see and help chickens and ducks,

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
The problem for most vets is that they are not trained to treat birds. They spend no time at all in school learning about them and their care. Chickens are very different when it comes to diagnosing and treating. So, it's really not the vets at fault.

At some point the schools will catch up and start teaching them more about bird health care.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts