Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be raising Dominique's. I am new at this. Could anyone tell me at about what age they start laying?

Also I have a coop and run but would like to let them out to free range occasionally in our yard. We have just over an acre.
How do I get them back into the coop and / or keep them from straying too far out of range? I plan to only let them free-range when I am outside with them.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
They'll lay around 21 weeks old. As for free ranging, just keep them penned for at least 2 weeks before free ranging and they will go into the coop automatically after free ranging, before the sun goes down.

·
Banned
31 Posts

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BuffaloGal said:
The Dominique Club of America is taking a census to get an idea how many birds are out there; if you have breeding age birds, please consider printing one off and sending it in. Club membership not required, we want to hear from you. :)
(edited) Hmmm, that did not work worth a flip. Let me hunt up a URL...

https://attachment.fbsbx.com/file_d...inline=1&ext=1365137527&hash=ASsmzRjPvtaGj__4
Well, my girls are only a few weeks old, so not of breeding age yet. I would love to have the link though.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I will be raising Dominique's. I am new at this. Could anyone tell me at about what age they start laying?

Also I have a coop and run but would like to let them out to free range occasionally in our yard. We have just over an acre.
How do I get them back into the coop and / or keep them from straying too far out of range? I plan to only let them free-range when I am outside with them.
Dom's are an excellent "old fashioned" American Class fowl....as you may already know they are one of the oldest American breeds (the Java is the other). Depending on where your stock originated they could start laying as early as 20-22 weeks. However, I've seen hatchery stock that did not lay until they were over 48 weeks of age! Since Dom's are not as heavy as some other breeds that can fly over a low fence (under 48" high) unless they have clipped wings. Something to consider if you have 1 acre or less! You can "train" them to return to the coop almost anytime you like if you go out several times a day and feed them treats inside the coop. Just tossing a little scratch or BOSS is all it takes and when you turn them out when you want them back in the coop simply walk in and toss the grain....99% of the time they will come running when they see you carrying the can or cup of grain! Otherwise you will need to wait for sun-down like someone else posted.:)

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Apyl and Buckeye for the info. I am handling the chicks daily, feeding 1 mealworms as a treat, and hoping that they will want to hang around as much as I want them to! :)
As always, I am much appreciative of any insight given.

·
Country Gurl
62 Posts
Nice breed to start with. I'll be offering hatching eggs later this year.

VIVI

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nice breed to start with. I'll be offering hatching eggs later this year.

VIVI
VIVI, your web/blog link doesn't work as it is typed?!?!? can you confirm if there is an error or not??? wanted to check out your "heritage breeds" ;)

·
Country Gurl
62 Posts
Thank you Hon. I still need to update it. I have so many babies coming at the bator.

VIVI

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts

I had a Dom roo last year so thought I would see if I had a pic and I found one :) The dom is on the left and Barred Rock on the right. I want to say they were about 3 or so months old in this pic. Both birds later became meat birds.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Very nice birds you have there.

VIVI
Thanks VIVI, it's a little different around here this year....normally that brood pen is filled with nothing but RED chicks (Buckeyes) like the picture below! However, this year I have added a few more breeds to the mix and we'll see how they do?!?!?

·
Banned
31 Posts
I know you're pretty well sold on those red birds Jeff, but you're liable to find that a little color is also a good thing. I recall your writing these chicks came from "down south", did you get the breeding pair you mentioned from Mike?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I recall your writing these chicks came from "down south", did you get the breeding pair you mentioned from Mike?
I got the young Dom's (hatching eggs) from a gal in South Carolina in February. The breeding pair I picked up recently came from a local man who said they came from a breeder in Indiana. I did contact Mike last year about his Dom's but he didn't seem interested in selling anything so I went a different direction! ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts