Dominate Hen

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by Pickles, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Pickles

Pickles New Member

I want to rescue a dominate hen from animal rescues, and introduce her to my small flock. What can I do to give my girls the upper hand as we integrate her?

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Being she is new to them, she'll have to learn to blend in. What ages are we talking about? If your existing flock is older or of relative same age, they'll probably be more aggressive in setting the pecking order. Just take your time. That seems to be the trick. I introduce slowly. Give the newbie time to explore new digs alone while the others are out and about. Then I let the others get used to seeing the newbie around before trying a little supervised free ranging in the yard. I usually keep newbie separated for the first bit unless fully supervised. The new additions have always let me know when they're ready to join the group and work their way in. Some have taken as little as 2 days while others much much longer. I've found it depends on what they were used to before they came here. when I got one who came from being with a variety of ages, they did better fitting in faster. The couple I got that were used to being only with others of same age group, they took the longest to blend in.

3. Pickles

Pickles New Member

My girls(four of them) are young, about 7 months old and very comfortable, i.e. no stress in their lives. Big yard, lots of food. This newcomer would be two years old and has a history of being dominate. While I don't mind my girls being dominated, I dont want them to be hurt. I am more worried about my girls then the newcomer because of their young age.

4. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

It can be tough to introduce just one loner to an established group. Keep her in a separate area where they can see each other and talk, but not peck. You may see some fighting going on with the fence between. After a few days if things seem fine, put the new one in the coop at night so they can have conversations and then see how things go in the morning.

Good Luck.

5. Pickles

Pickles New Member

Thanks. As of now it is going really well. Being a Cochin she is about half the size of the other ladies, so she was put in her place pretty quickly. Last night she made her way into the coop for the first time all by herself. She was at Animal Control for about a month by herself, and it has been fun to watch her come alive with her new flock. She seems happy. I'll keep you informed.

Attached Files:

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

She's adorable!!! I'm so glad you took her home! Bet she is too!!! Glad its working out for both of you!

7. TravisFoxTN

TravisFoxTN New Member

Awww! She is adorable. Thank you for saving her.