Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 5 dogs out of six acquired and managed for guarding my chickens and eventually sheep and possibly a couple feeder calves is resources allow.

At first I got a single male short-haired German Pointer that proved to be awesome and even took to defending the neighbors chickens. That proved to be too much when a Red Fox figured out it could use fences as cover where fox would zip back and forth through fence when pursued. The dog still actually caught a fox and killed alone. Then I got his half-sister that was half wire-haired which completely shut fox action down and we got another fox plus a dog. Yes, they killed a dog. The female has proved more problematic going after chickens when bored so took me longer to fix that. Then male got runover causing loss. Female cleaned up her act but had troubles keeping fox and coyotes away. Male had working relationship with coyotes that female never developed. The male could not handle major cold so we made so dogs could go in and out of house they desired. That got expensive with heating bill and trying to keep house clean.

Male pointer as pup with first American Dominique produced by my breeding efforts.

Male pointer as an adult. He played a big role rearing both my kids.

Female pointer as pup.

Female pointer as adult.

They killed a lot of snapping turtles. Even the big ones had no chance. This only plate sized.

Then we got a male English Shepherd with understanding he would be more cold tolerant. Folks we got him from turned out to be more the puppy mill type, but we made do. The female pointer began slowing down so we got a female English Shepherd. She came from an extremely inbred line that was used more for breeding than anything; no actual working or showing. She turned out to be great like the German Pointer male, plus handles the cold very well. With three dogs we got another fox and another dog. Dogs are hard to bury here.

Male English Shepherd as pup.

As adult with too much hair for weather.

White dog belongs to neighbor. She friends with ours so I had to break her of killing chickens. She was fairly easy.

Female as pup.

Female as adult making sure **** is really dead.

with other adult females of pack.

Female pulled roosters tail half hour before becuase he was fighting with another rooster through a pen wall. She was trying to pull him back by the tail. She got frustrated and tried to pick him up by tail. For some reason the dogs are real good at breaking up young roosters fighting. Roosters do not look good afterwards.

So my kids got to no more about the birds and the bees we bred the two shepherds. We go benefits of out breeding from the git go. Each kid selected a pup to be kept and trained for show. The train real fast, especially after all mistakes made with their father.

Birds and the bees.

Chickens avoiding pups. You would too if you could.

Pups learning how to tree squirrels.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
These posts and pics really cause me to miss having a dog in my life. I lost my last one last year and swore, no more.

I love that you've documented so much with pictures. They can bring back so many enjoyable memories of people and creatures that populated our lives.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flo at just over a year. First four images she is munching on a turkey neck with her father approaching from barn. In third image she quietly said its mine dad, back off. Flo, like her father, is brindle in my book, but the registration people call her sable. Sable in the English Shepherd registry covers a range of colors with considerable differences in genetic background to create them. She has siblings also sable that are much lighter and lacking the pattern. That group alone I feel proper to call sable.

IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG

Mom and dad as Flo ran around house.
IMG_0353.JPG

Flo walking pens under watchful eye of her mother. Her mother roles her when she does bad. I have to speak calmly to slow Flo so she does not excite chickens in pens. Only four chickens out when pups released to make so managing chaos is easier. Flo still checks out every single water bowl.
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last post today before noon. Others over last almost decade. Current pictures on dogs will be from this point forward. At this time I am trying to learn seriously upgraded computer and internet with your website protocols.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
We don't have any website protocols so if you have issues, holler. You've posted often enough that the auto blockers should be off for you now.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
LOL I don't even know that and I've been here for years.

When I post a pic I usually drag one from my photos on the computer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am using this computer, phone, two cameras, youtube, and a website similar to this one as sources. All images and videos ultimately of my making.

·
Registered
634 Posts
E8FE865A-EFA9-4AA7-9BB1-A45582ED00EC.jpeg

This is Bear. She's about six months old. Her job is to look after the chickens and to let us know if there are any snakes or monitor lizards in the garden. Unfortunately she likes to play with the chickens sometimes but has never hurt one. But she's showing some promise. Just now she leapt into action to protect our matriarch from a neighbour's cockerel.

Sometimes she just likes to be a bit naughty. Here she is cleaning her teeth with my toothbrush!

FA2B2C83-902D-44B8-9D98-7A45D4B87A8A.jpeg

·
Registered
634 Posts
She’s starting to respect me as her boss. She loves to steal shoes but she knows the difference between our shoes and other people’s. Today she stole a shoe belonging to a guy working here, I called her out on it and she put it back where she found it!

·
Vintage Featherless Biped
108 Posts
sss.jpg
I plan to introduce Gypsy to the chicks when we get them, but carefully. She's good with our cats (wants to play, though, even when they don't), but I plan to go verrry carefully with the birds, because she's got a heckuva prey drive.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts