Dogs and Chickens

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by BootedBantam, Aug 31, 2012.

1. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

I have three dogs that I am trying to teach to leave the rooster alone. A Bull Mastiff, Pit Bull Terrior, and Chihuhua. They know he lives in the front yard and are trained not to run out the front door. I think they understand I love him, too. The rooster doesn't like them. Question: Any suggestions on how to make them bond? My coop is in the backyard where the dogs go out and roam.

Guess which dog chases him and doesn't like him?

2. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

That's a bond not meant to be. I have seen dogs that didn't bother chickens (like my pit) but none that really got along with eachother

3. BootedBantam

Great!! I don't plan on letting dogs and chickens out at same time. The chihuhua is the mean one. The two big dogs like to chase, but have learned mama don't like that and my voice stops them dead in their tracks. The little one darts out of nowhere under people's feet at the door and goes straight for rooster. I guess time, patience, and constant supervision is needed!

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I know it's the chihuahua. I have two. My doberman was a dream compared to them.

5. WeeLittleChicken

WeeLittleChicken Active Member

We have a pit bull who likes any small animals, including the chickens, but that only goes so far... you put a small animal, like a rooster, into the mix that acts aggressively towards the dog you can't really fault the dog for getting snippy back. Case in point, although this photo shows our dog playing with the chicks she doesn't have the best record with one of our cats who will go out of his way to smack her in the face. She responded by pinning him to the ground like she would disciplinary a puppy and nicked his neck while doing so as he's a lot more fragile skinwise than a pit bull puppy!

[​IMG]

6. BootedBantam

Great....this gonna be fun. LOL

7. cindy

cindy New Member

all my dogs see is chicken nuggets 1-20 they would eat them if they every got the chance..

Attached Files:

8. BootedBantam

Beautiful dog ") you have!! I'm kinda going on the same theory. I guess hearing the stories about what works and what doesn't will and is helpful!!

The pit bull is a terrior and has a compulsive side. He is 4 and the smartest. I have had to jump in a few rivers to fetch him out. So not fun!!He's jumped in canals after ducks, but never hurt one. He likes to swim and chase the water. He is also the alpha in my house. Not sure what he will do, he likes to sit over people and animals to prove that.

Bull Mastiff mix is almost 100lb. He was a rescue dog. I picked his breed because they are lovers and fighters. He is an awesome dog, but a little dumb sometimes. Think he has anxiety issues and a compulsive licking disorder. He is very attached to me and doesn't like me out of his site. I think his reaction to the chicken will be, Those are my moms and be the most protective.

The chihuhua is built like a small fox and very fast. Think she will be the biggest problem of them all. She has gone exlporing in the mountains most with me and my friends dogs (a fatty pit and a Jack Russell) are hunters and killed small things in front of her. And she barks at everything..Plus a small bird fell from a nest in my yard, and the two big dogs went straight for it and only chased it, when the dogs heard my voice in a certain tone, they stopped in their tracks. I walk over to pick it up and chihuhua bolted in and went all cugo. I saved the bird put it in a box outfront, he lived thank God!!

I think once the hens get settled in their new digs, I should introduce the dogs to the chicken one at a time on a leash while chickens are locked up safely. Do it every day, consistanly. Man, this rooster of mine is making me do new research everyday!! All advice welcome......

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Watch some Cesar Milan (the dog whisperer). Really. Not kidding. He is amazing and sensible. Watch Cesar.

10. BootedBantam

Love Ceasar Milan, read a few of his books!! Never needed a book, been around dogs my whole life. Until the pit bull terrior Mr. Dominance came into my life. I had to be stronger, louder, and meaner with him than any other dog I have ever come across. He is the first dog to ever scare me!! I had to prove my dominence to him and I really didn't want to go up against a dominant pit. I had to literally pick him him up while he was visciously growling at me (he growls to speak, too, he's just a growler) and throw him across the room and stand tall with my arms crossed (Ceaser tip) and stare him down until he got it. He still challenges me sometimes, but he knows I am in charge now. I faced my fear that day, which I think Is the same approach I need to take with the roo I inherited. Except I won't throw him across the room, I have to work up the courage to pick him up and face my bird fear.

11. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Floyd my Great Pyreness, 9 weeks old... Already a monster. When I had goats I kept a GP.. They are truly gentle giants, and sleep with and protect whichever livestock you have, he's gonna be my new Ranch Dog. I he's in training now. But it's instinct for them to protect and not run or harm your animals, there's several feral cats in an old barn and I've shot 5 this spring and summer already, stalking up to my coops at night. Floyd will put a stop to that soon enough.
    Cogburn

Attached Files:

12. BootedBantam

So pretty!! I was wondering which breed of dog, if any, would be best with chickens? You can herd sheep, can you herd chickens with the right dog?

13. BootedBantam

Here is a pic of my two boys:

Attached Files:

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Cog, he is adorable. And a puppy?!? You will have your hands full. Train him up right and he's worth he weight in gold. Or platinum! Lol

And pits I know are bully breeds. If they can get away with intimidation they will. But I've known so many of them (as a vet) and some are pet therapy dogs! Great sturdy dogs with a very big heart!

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Heres my useless wieners. Lol

Attached Files:

16. cindy

cindy New Member

oh and like their no spoiled^^^^^rotten!!!! he he he

17. BootedBantam

Omg.... don't know what I love more, the white sheets or those totally adorable dogs!!!! (I dream of white sheets, my dogs sleep with me)

18. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Beautiful bullys.. Yes my grandad had a pair of border collies that worked cows, pigs, goats, chickens and even us grand kids sometimes. Lol

19. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Chihuahuas, and a papillon ? I've had some awesome chi's in my life.. 6' tall and bulletproof !

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yeah the one on the left has been in charge of 100 pound dobies, pugs and all the cats. She's only 5 pounds and it took her like 8 yrs to get there. She is so damn stubborn too. Unbelievable. And she lies all the time to get what she wants. I'm sure she'd be fine with any chickens as she would take over their supervision too. Lol