Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did try to be careful snipping her toe nails. But I got a bleeder and she bled all over my bed and footprints all over the floor. I did finally get it stopped with denture powder, lol. I think I'll look for a groomer. Can they help me with a dog that hates being groomed?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Groomers have seen all types of dogs and can handle them whether the dog wants to be groomed or not, that's what they get paid for and I always give them a good tip. Bloodstop powder or styptic sticks from Walmart should stop toenail bleeding. I've had it happen with dogs, and have had better luck with styptic sticks. I've used either on roosters when blunting the secondary spur also.
Our dog groomer recently retired. She was a great groomer and I'll miss her. She even "expressed" our dog.
I've since taken up the task of grooming including using clippers and scissors = fail. :( Well, I do as best as I can.
I've done the 'expressing' and dont like it one bit. I'd rather pick up chicken poop. BTW, I wear disposable gloves lol.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Corn starch also stops bleeding.I used it on Blue Belle when the dogs ripped off her back and she was bleeding bad.I know I've cut my dog's nails too short at times and I feel bad but if he'd hold still I don't think I'd have that problem.

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have learned one thing. If you wash the dog then use some conditioner that makes people smooth , dry and brush, the clippers glide right through.

I will be calling a groomer. I've had a year now to realize it's too aggravating. Poodles need the bath, the hair in the ears plucked out, their feet and between theirs cut really short, and under the tail short. It's just too much for me and takes hours . Then she avoids me. : (

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Make sure you check references and watch the groomer in action before you give them your dog. Out here mobile groomers are the rage now, they come to your house in their mobile van and bath and groom your dog right in your driveway....it's a huge money maker..
Too many groomers are rough with dogs so always check them out thoroughly and watch them work..me personally I don't trust strangers with my dogs but that's just me

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
How is your dog with strangers? That is also something to consider

1 - 8 of 8 Posts