Chicken Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm absolutely devastated and wanted to see if anyone had any advise. My neighbors dog got into my chicken coop by rocking my cage enough to pull the staples out from the wall. It was able to slip in but the fence folded back in place trapping the dog in the cage. My daughter caught it in the act and by the time I got my clothes on and ran out the door it had killed 21 of my flock. 17 Barred Rock and 4 Ayam Cermani. I hatched all these from eggs and had an extremely close bond with one of my Ayam named Cy. I helped him out of his egg because he couldn't make it and he only had one eye. He would come running at the sound of my voice and I hand fed him chick feed every day after work. He was one of the ones got. The dog was stuck in the cage so I called the state police to document the incident. I took many pictures of the dog in the cage with the chickens. When the owner showed up I have him on video walking up to the cage and saying yes that's my dog. I hand counted all the chickens killed on video in front of him. After talking with my wife I told him that I would take 1000 as compensation as a starting point. Honestly if he had said all he could afford was 50 bucks I would have taken that. I didn't harm his dog and he took it and went on his way. A week later I asked him if there was any update on the situation and he absolutely starts hammering me with questions and accusations that his dog didn't kill them because there wasn't a bloody mess and they were already dead and his dog just got in my coop afterwards. I'm just in shock and don't know which way to turn. I've consulted some other farmers and vets and they are telling me dogs won't typically leave a mess especially when they are caught in the act. I had one Ayam survive and its now extremely wild and wont let me near it which is understandable. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Administrator
24,133 Posts
OK, you've got it documented with the State and your own video. Small claims court is probably your next stop. Go for the max amount allowed in your state.

After the fact. Put strips of wood over where the wired is stapled. Basically your sandwiching it making it next to impossible to pull loose. You can also add hotwire around the perimeter of your coop and pen so that if the dog returns he learns an unpleasant lesson.

And I'm sorry for all of your losses. That kind of attack is hard to get past. I think we've all been through it at least once and learned from our mistakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, you've got it documented with the State and your own video. Small claims court is probably your next stop. Go for the max amount allowed in your state.

After the fact. Put strips of wood over where the wired is stapled. Basically your sandwiching it making it next to impossible to pull loose. You can also add hotwire around the perimeter of your coop and pen so that if the dog returns he learns an unpleasant lesson.

And I'm sorry for all of your losses. That kind of attack is hard to get past. I think we've all been through it at least once and learned from our mistakes.
I'm in the process of installing an electric fence around the exterior of the wire and shoring up that one side.
I really didn't want this matter to go to court. 😢

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, with all your documentation you're very likely to win in small claims court, but I imagine threatening court proceedings would make him pay up, too. Not to mention, your daughter is an eye witness. He has to know that there's no way a judge is going to look at all your evidence and agree with him! You could even try lowering the compensation a bit to make it feel like he's "won" something, which might entice him to just pay up outside of court. You might not get the full replacement value, so that depends on how unwilling you are to go to court.

If you do end up going to court, make sure to bring evidence of the current cost of purchasing replacement laying hens of the same breed as your lost chickens to present to the judge, as well as the cost of repairing your run. The general public doesn't know how expensive laying hens are, and neither do most judges, I imagine.

At the very least, I hope this teaches the neighbor to keep better control of his dog. You showed amazing restraint in not dispatching it immediately, which is perfectly legal when a dog is attacking your livestock. The neighbor should be thanking you that he still has a dog and paying up at once. I'm a dog lover and the logical side of my brain knows it's not really the dog's fault, he's just following instinct, but I don't know if I would be able to listen to it if a dog was in the act of destroying my flock.

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, do what Robin said, if the dog has a taste for chickens, it will do it again. The electric fence should be a good deterrent, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really appreciate the advise everyone! If there were any chickens left alive in my coop I would had dispatched the dog immediately. I had a Judge revolver held on it but since everything was already gone by the time I made it there I made a snap judgement that the dog was potentially worth more to me alive than dead and that it may help me if we ended up in court.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm absolutely devastated and wanted to see if anyone had any advise. My neighbors dog got into my chicken coop by rocking my cage enough to pull the staples out from the wall. It was able to slip in but the fence folded back in place trapping the dog in the cage. My daughter caught it in the act and by the time I got my clothes on and ran out the door it had killed 21 of my flock. 17 Barred Rock and 4 Ayam Cermani. I hatched all these from eggs and had an extremely close bond with one of my Ayam named Cy. I helped him out of his egg because he couldn't make it and he only had one eye. He would come running at the sound of my voice and I hand fed him chick feed every day after work. He was one of the ones got. The dog was stuck in the cage so I called the state police to document the incident. I took many pictures of the dog in the cage with the chickens. When the owner showed up I have him on video walking up to the cage and saying yes that's my dog. I hand counted all the chickens killed on video in front of him. After talking with my wife I told him that I would take 1000 as compensation as a starting point. Honestly if he had said all he could afford was 50 bucks I would have taken that. I didn't harm his dog and he took it and went on his way. A week later I asked him if there was any update on the situation and he absolutely starts hammering me with questions and accusations that his dog didn't kill them because there wasn't a bloody mess and they were already dead and his dog just got in my coop afterwards. I'm just in shock and don't know which way to turn. I've consulted some other farmers and vets and they are telling me dogs won't typically leave a mess especially when they are caught in the act. I had one Ayam survive and its now extremely wild and wont let me near it which is understandable. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!
First I’m very sorry to you went through such a loss and your daughter had to go through it too.
I have to strongly agree, get that electric fence ASAP. Also if you don’t stand up to the man with the dog he will not take you serious and will not make no effort to control his dog. You may save someone else’s chickens also if there is any around you by making him take responsibility for what his dog does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First I’m very sorry to you went through such a loss and your daughter had to go through it too.
I have to strongly agree, get that electric fence ASAP. Also if you don’t stand up to the man with the dog he will not take you serious and will not make no effort to control his dog. You may save someone else’s chickens also if there is any around you by making him take responsibility for what his dog does.
He said he was very generous for offering to buy me chicks at tractor supply to replace my flock. I told him we would let a judge decide and that I was cutting off communication. He immediately offered 850 bucks. Funny how that works.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ha, well, Robin was right. He sure changed his tune quick.

I don't think a lot of people realize how much money is spent raising chickens from chicks...food, heating, time, and not to mention the 6 months between chicks and getting any eggs while they're basically free loading! There is a reason laying hens in their prime can cost between $40 and $60! You put a lot of money into those $4 chicks...

I'm glad he seems willing to settle out of court to spare you any further trouble. Until that money is in your bank account, though, I wouldn't drop the threat of court...

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
Sounds like progress.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts