Dog attack

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by VickiGG, Dec 24, 2012.

1. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

I have two hens, they've only been with us three weeks...and we're already laying and very happy free range in the day, in coop at night. We're on a lifestyle block. One got very lethargic a week ago and then last night while I was out with the horses the other one who WAS very happy pecking away by the stables was attacked by our neighbours dog. I rushed over to rescue her and chased him off. Thank goodness I was outside and close by. She's limping and lost a lot of feathers. I held on to her for abut 15 minutes until I was sure she was alive still And checked for breaks, I think it's just a sprained leg...hopefully...
    Now I'm wondering if the dog had scared the other one now too as she went from very brave almost cheeky to timid and scared almost overnight.
    I have called animal control. In NZ it's illegal for owners not to contain their dogs on their own property.

Such.a sad ending to a lovely Xmas eve.

2. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

One of mine for attacked by a neighbors dog a few months ago. She was roughed up pretty bad. Both of mine didn't want to come out of coop for weeks. Now they're fine. They alert when they hear a dog bark but other than that they've pulled through it.

3. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

Hi flacummins. That's good to hear. They've been sleeping all day so far. I hope they eat something soon. :) merry Christmas.

4. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

That's what mine did. The one that got attacked wouldn't let me near her before the attack. After it happened she slept in my lap for over an hour. Now she lays huge brown eggs.

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Well that's a lousy Christmas Eve for your sweeties! Glad they are okay though and thank gosh you were outside!

6. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

Yes thank goodness I was so close. May have saved her. I spent some time talking to her before and she got up and had some food and water then sat back down to sleep. Glad she's eating and drinking although her legs still sore - she's limping. Although the other one isn't eating today. She's still got a swollen closed eye and looking after L'Oreal. I call her Lancôme as she's got the longer comb of the two! Only way I could tell them apart. Lol. So then L'Oreal seemed an obvious choice for the other one lol.

7. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

Wow. Fingers crossed (and toes).

8. nzpouter

nzpouter New Member

How rural are you? The law allows you to shoot any stock/ poultry worrying dogs.

[​IMG]

9. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

Yeah I'm near Woodhill forest. Looked at getting firearms licence today! Then I'll need to learn to shoot! :)

10. nzpouter

nzpouter New Member

sweet, we don't take chances with our lot as well.... as much as I hate shooting dogs, it's usually their useless owners fault that they're not contained... and if it's a choice between my animals or theirs in my property.. well.. not really a hard one. ;)

11. patlet

patlet New Member

In our town we can protect our critters as well. I have lost geese and chickens to neighbors dogs. One time we had three Huskies here, one in with the chickens, one chasing geese and another after the rabbits! Needless today, only one dog left,and it was limping. Since that incident, and the local constabulary backing us up, we haven't had troubles with other people's pets. All it takes is for a dog to jump on the back of a bird, crushes their lungs it does. Horrible for the poor bird!