Chicken Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed my baby's foot today when i came outside to feed them dinner. I haven't seen her in a couple days but they are free range on an acre so I figured she was nesting somewhere. When I did see her she was limping and her pad of her foot is swollen an
d hot to the touch. Her foot is red and she is holding it up. There seems to be no abrasion or cut on her foot. Any advice or suggestions on what it could be is greatly appreciated. Thank y'all so much!
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Twig
Hand Green Plant Finger Gesture

·
Administrator
21,888 Posts
Is the entire top of her foot red like that? It's possible she's been stunk or bitten by something. Check closely for any signs of either one.

To start I would soak her foot in Epsom salts to try to get that swelling down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding!!! Yes the top is red and swollen too. I looked for a puncture or a cut or scab but I didnt see any.
Hand Organism Gesture Grass Finger

·
Administrator
21,888 Posts
Do you have any Benadryl? I would try giving her one of those to see if the swelling goes down.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just noticed my baby's foot today when i came outside to feed them dinner. I haven't seen her in a couple days but they are free range on an acre so I figured she was nesting somewhere. When I did see her she was limping and her pad of her foot is swollen an
d hot to the touch. Her foot is red and she is holding it up. There seems to be no abrasion or cut on her foot. Any advice or suggestions on what it could be is greatly appreciated. Thank y'all so much! View attachment 42528 View attachment 42529
it seems like that chicken might have bumblefoot. This is a disease where chickens get sores, cuts, red spots and rips on the bottom of their foot. It is not contagious but should be treated immediately. I would soak her foot in Epsom salt and warm water. if it becomes more severe, a vet would be were to go.

·
Administrator
21,888 Posts
Except there is no sign of bumble. And the top of the foot being red is not usually part of bumble.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I'm seeing more foot problems this year than ever before; most clear up quickly. I think it's the heavy rains and high humidity here that's the problem. Since you didn't see the hen for a couple days it could be that she got tangled up in something and hurt the foot getting free.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm seeing more foot problems this year than ever before; most clear up quickly. I think it's the heavy rains and high humidity here that's the problem. Since you didn't see the hen for a couple days it could be that she got tangled up in something and hurt the foot getting free.
That could be the case. But i agree you neex to soak that foot. Anf give her something to down the swelling. She could have hit her foot hard on something to. So make sure when the swelling goes down her foot's not hurt on the inside.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,782 Posts
Poor girl. Wouldn't have any opinions but definitely hope she heals! 🥰

1 - 14 of 14 Posts