Chicken Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2 as babies and they have grown up on this property and have been aloud to free range since they were old enough to be outside. They had roosted in the coop at night up until the last week. When its nice they stay out. Usually on the roof. But today they decided to take off. A 1/4 mile down my drive to the neighbors house. I walked down to get them and had a horrible time getting them home which I did not anticipate nc they follow me everywhere. I also had a bucket with a little feed just in case. But nope they acted like a couple nuts. And only willing went after I caught the hen and my boy carried her home. The male called and after not getting a reply ran home as fast as he could. They are just at a year old and I'm wondering if its common for them to just leave like that? If this is what I have to look forward to then I'm going to start plans for a peapen and coop. I have other birds free ranging and they never get to far from the main yard. Not even my toms have attempted to leave even during breeding season when they were calling wild hens into the field.

·
Registered
16 Posts
peacocks visiting the neighbors

Oh my yes! They are very curious! My teacher's aide is always finding the neighbor's 3 (1/2 mile away) chattering away in their barn! When we first had peacocks, the 2 cocks would take off for the next door neighbors (we live in the country, so that's a relative term) every morning and sit on their porch swing to look in their big kitchen window. We thought it was hilarious. The neighbors were not amused and threatened to shoot them. We decided we had better keep them up, but coyotes got them before we finished the pen. That was myth #1: Once established, peacocks will stay at their home roost. Maybe someone's will, but mine sure won't.

One thing I learned about peacocks; they need a high % protein feed. We were starving them to death, poor birds. No wonder we lost so many in the beginning. It's better now, but don't feed them like you do the chickens. Medicated feed is not good for them and might even kill them. Myth #2: You can feed them like chickens. Medicated feed can be deadly and is not high enough in protein. Scratching and dusting off and roosting on the perches is fine, but they need different food.

I am still learning. There isn't a whole lot written about raising peacocks, not like chickens and ducks and it's a little different. :eek:They will range nicely with chickens and turkeys and ducks and geese and guineas and everybody gets along, but there is always a danger curiousity will win the day and off they go!

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have noticed they are very curious. If I'm in the yard doing anything they are following me around. I was taking down fence the other day they were standing behind me one peeking over each shoulder watching my every move. This was only the 2nd time they have wondered off the 1st time they didn't go as far. I will do some more research on feeding them. They eat their food and who ever elses they can get to. They always go out to dine with the duck. Which I don't think the ducks care for much. Lol they are very funny though and I love having them. I guess I'm just going to have to build them a pen. :/ thank you for sharing your experience. I was beginning to think noone was going to reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts