Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little rooster falls asleep every time if flip him upside-down! Do your like that too or is he different? All my others hate it

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Never tried. I know hubby has tried holding them by laying them on their backs in a cradle hold but not one of mine like it. See others on here do though like Phoebie (robopetz spoiled silkie). :) Wish mine did. They look so cute sleeping like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Some people carry them that way & for a brief period it probably isn't harmful. That said, chickens anatomy being what it is holding a chicken in this position causes their internal organs to push forward & put preasure on their lungs. Holding a chicken in this position too long can cause respiratory distress & possibly death., I had read this,and copy and pasted here for you.your chicken is being smothered,it's not something I would recommend.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Some people carry them that way & for a brief period it probably isn't harmful. That said, chickens anatomy being what it is holding a chicken in this position causes their internal organs to push forward & put preasure on their lungs. Holding a chicken in this position too long can cause respiratory distress & possibly death., I had read this,and copy and pasted here for you.your chicken is being smothered,it's not something I would recommend.
Thanks for posting this!!! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are so welcome,I would never want to cause my babies distress,hope she reads this!im sure she's not aware he's most likley sleeping from a lack of oxygen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
icarusdiedquick said:
You are so welcome,I would never want to cause my babies distress,hope she reads this!im sure she's not aware he's most likley sleeping from a lack of oxygen.
Woah! I didn't know that at all! He never sleeps like that for long, I just pick him up and he immediately flips himself over lol I'll be sure to not do that anymore

·
Registered
289 Posts
This is the way you hold a chicken to calm them. It's considered hypnosis for chickens really. Has nothing to do with lack of oxygen, it triggers the brain into sleep mode. Enjoy! Been doin it for years and years. No harm done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts