Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the cold is here in Northern Utah, and the bugs are gone until next summer, do any of you still let your chickens out of their run during the day to free range? What benefit is there if bugs can't be found and any green plant is already shriveled up and dead due to the freezing temperatures?

Thank you.

· Administrator
25,039 Posts
If your setup is the one I'm thinking of, your birds have to be out even without the easy to catch bugs. There just isn't enough room in your coop for them and the turkeys. One of the things you can do is hang a wind break on the fence on the windward side of your fence. That will make it more comfortable for them when they're out.

And yes, most of us did let our birds out in Winter. Those that live in snow areas shovel pathways for the birds if the snow is deep. Windbreaks are provided for the really windy days.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the things you can do is hang a wind break on the fence on the windward side of your fence. That will make it more comfortable for them when they're out.
I'm a bit confused. You mean this wind break will make them more comfortable for when they are inside the chicken run, not when they're out roaming the yard, right?

· Registered
408 Posts
Totally different environment here in the midlands of SC than you have there, but yes, my chickens free range all year long. I don't know, but you might be surprised at what the chickens can find scratching around there in the winter time.

· Administrator
25,039 Posts
That was a very long time ago from your first post to this one. I forgot that you were also letting them free range outside of the open run. But same answer, yes. Let them do what they normally do during the daytime.

Yes, put up a windbreak for them on the windward side of their run. I imagine you end up with some really windy days during the Winter. If you can cut the wind, chances are you'll find the birds in the run staying out of the wind.

· Registered
47 Posts
5 hens & 1 rooster came to us 2 summers ago for sanctuary. They were 2 year old adults back then, free-rangers for the most part, year round.
They now live in a Taj Mahal Ft Knox, have a fenced small pasture, as well as free-range when we’re home all day & the weather isn’t nasty.
In winter, as long as it’s not storming or crazy windy, they free-range as well. If it stormed the night before, we keep them in the coop til we’re done shoveling or plowing or snowblowing. Being in upstate NY, and in higher elevations,we get snow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts