Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! 馃憢
I have my first broody hen, which is totally fine with me. However, it is still cold in Northern Minnesota, getting into the high 20鈥檚 and 30鈥檚 at night. This is probably the only time she will be able to have chicks because we just got rid of the ornery rooster, but I am wondering if she will be able to keep them warm enough, or if I should put the heat lamp back in there for her?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
She'll be fine. She can raise her feathers a bit to trap body heat if she needs to.
What if she gets chicks to hatch? Do I leave them alone then too? She is sitting in the top nesting box, which is a ways off the floor too. 馃槵

Administrator
Before the peeps hatch prepare an area with a warming station on the floor that they can get to. It's nothing more than a bell lamp with a 65 watt incandescent bulb in the lamp. Hang it about a foot off the shavings. Peeps learn very quickly what it's for.

Mine would get chilled when Mom was up doing Mom things and head for the lamp to warm up.

In the evening Mom will take over keeping them warm.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Before the peeps hatch prepare an area with a warming station on the floor that they can get to. It's nothing more than a bell lamp with a 65 watt incandescent bulb in the lamp. Hang it about a foot off the shavings. Peeps learn very quickly what it's for.

Mine would get chilled when Mom was up doing Mom things and head for the lamp to warm up.

In the evening Mom will take over keeping them warm.
Okay, thanks! I ended up hanging one of those heat lights from the ceiling because they were getting frost bite and took it out when the temps warmed, so I should be able to rig something up to get it lower. My coop is not at all chick friendly, so I guess ramps will be in order too?

Administrator
Yep. Although they shouldn't go out until they're fully feathered. It's way too easy for them to chill and they won't know to return to the coop to get warm.

I used pot hanger things to hang my lamps from. They stick out from the wall about ten inches so that gives plenty of space for the bell of the lamp.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. Although they shouldn't go out until they're fully feathered. It's way too easy for them to chill and they won't know to return to the coop to get warm.

I used pot hanger things to hang my lamps from. They stick out from the wall about ten inches so that gives plenty of space for the bell of the lamp.
Great idea, thanks! I may have to put a small board in front of the door then. Short enough for the hens to hop, but high enough to keep chicks in. If they hatch 馃悾

Administrator
Well, now you'll have to let me know how many hatch. It's going to be like a rodeo keeping the peeps where you want them and be able to let the others out.

Administrator
LOL Yeah, it's going to get pretty entertaining.

I was pretty well set up for new peeps where my other birds were concerned. Even then there were challenges.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
LOL Yeah, it's going to get pretty entertaining.

I was pretty well set up for new peeps where my other birds were concerned. Even then there were challenges.
Ha, ha, we will see! I am supposed to be converting an old swing set into a small pen for my silkies, so maybe I can use that as a nursery if I get it done?

And I think I have another hen going broody鈥-she is sitting in the box next door. sigh And we have two nights coming next week that are supposed to get into the teens for lows. 馃ザ

Administrator
It's Spring and the girls know it. Time to hatch the next generation.

I can't see what you can so I'm going to withhold judgement. I think of swings all I see is something totally open with no protection. But you've got some thoughts on how to make it work.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
It's Spring and the girls know it. Time to hatch the next generation.

I can't see what you can so I'm going to withhold judgement. I think of swings all I see is something totally open with no protection. But you've got some thoughts on how to make it work.
Well, my plan is to make it sort of like this one, but with the coop side going all the way down to the ground, and some covering over the run.

Administrator
Is the swing long enough to have that much space? That looks to be about 16 feet long.

I can it working though. If you just made the whole thing a straight sides it would be super simple to build the coop part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts