Do you clip wings

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Shalva, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Shalva

Shalva New Member

Do you clip wings on your chickens? I have heard that juveniles fly better than adults but if I am going to clip I do want them to get used to this when they are young...

Over the fence of their yard is the dog yard... I really don't want them in there... and I don't want them at our neighbors who are animal haters... They must stay in the fenced yard...

I know how to clip as I used to have a parrot... but I was wondering what the pros and cons of clipping are... these are buff orps and barred rocks....

any thoughts???

2. machinist

machinist New Member

I don't know of any downside to clipping wings, as long as you do it right. I had much better luck clipping if I did one wing quite short, the other not so short. It throws off their trajectory abd they get discouraged fast.

If you have really cold winters, it might be good to be sure they stay warm, since wing feathers add a lot of insulation for them. I can't think of any other drawback.

Thankfully, we haven't had to clip wings on our present place. We have a 6 ft. fence and only one hen ever made it over that. She was persistent about it, though. :p We finally just let her do her thing. She always came home at night.

3. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

I clip their wings. Well, one wing. I have too if I want them to stay in, especially on my brown leghorns and my D'Anver.

4. thespiralandthelotus

thespiralandthelotus New Member

Clip only 1 wing or they will still have enough balance to fly if you have a persistent chook. Also i have never noticed any disadvantage to clipping, i only clip the girls that need it

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

On your right handed chickens clip the left wing and vice versa, only do one wing, also it's often not necessary to do all birds, just the flighty ones.

6. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

How do you know if a chicken is Right winged or left winged? lol

7. Shalva

Shalva New Member

thanks for asking that...

8. PeterFromRutland

PeterFromRutland Junior Member

Downside: foxes or any other predator. I once had one chase one of my roosters. If his wings were clipped he would have been dead.

If you don't free range them it's fine. If you do - do NOT clip!

9. rob

rob New Member

mine wander around my garden, there is a dog next door but they seem to stay away from that fence, as yet i have had no reason to clip wings.

10. Marthab53

Marthab53 New Member

I always clip on the right side because I am Right Handed, Never heard of a chicken being right or left handed and I have raised chickens for over 50 years. That is a new one to me.

11. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Well of course you've never heard of them being right or left handed...they have wings! lol

Ok seriously...how are you suppose to know if a chicken is right or left winged?

12. rob

rob New Member

how would you know if its right or left .......er.....winged lol

13. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Just checkin to be sure y'all were payin attention.. Lol

14. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

By how they vote?????:D

15. Shalva

Shalva New Member

ha ha ha ha

16. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I have tried wing clipping, they ran from my husband for MONTHS after he went in the coop and I caught them and he clipped, then tossed them out. They didn't hold a grudge with me, but WOW, they would run screaming when he came around!!

It didn't work, even clipping one wing the ones that wanted to fly over the 4 foot fence figured out how to fly anyway.

17. rob

rob New Member

lol, fantastic answer :)

18. rob

rob New Member

i think i may have to clip a few wings. my 3 chooks are 16 weeks old, today 2 flew into the tree (is this normal?) next door is a dog so i dont want them flying over the fence.
    is it easy to clip wings or should i get a vet to do it ?

19. Shalva

Shalva New Member

no its easy to do... I used to do my parrot all the time... a pair of plain old scissors will do the trick the key is to have the chicken stay still and with that you might need help until they get used to it

20. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

It's super easy! I hold the bird against my body and tuck its head under my left elbow. Extend the wing with my left hand and clip with my right.
    On the extra spunky birds I'll sit down and turn them on their backs and extend their wing.
    I actually find it harder to clip their wings when someone is "helping" me.
    Have you ever clipped a cats nails?