Chicken Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My six chickens are now about 1.5 to 2 months old. This weekend I have been letting them out the coop for about 2 hours to free range and then letting them out every 3 hours or so to run around some more. My wife noticed yesterday that she went out during a hotter part of the day to put them back in the coop and they were all huddled by the fence about 25 yards away from the coop...as soon as they entered the coop they ran straight for the water. My question is this?...do they know where to find the water when they are free ranging Orr do I need to make sure I put them up every couple hours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have found that the chickens do not tend to learn another source of something quickly, for example when I had them a one gallon bucket they learned that was where there water was then after they grew older I switched to a 3 gallon container it took them some time to learn the difference between the two. But if you are worried about them just give them the water outside somewhere close to where they are free ranging just in case. Hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts