Chicken Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
When it comes to chicken coops, cheap R good, and they hardly ever complain if the ceiling molding doesn't match the base trim.

I saw a chicken tractor on the net for two (2!) chickens that had (I swear I ain't lyin'!) at least $150.00 worth of fancy latches on it. Egg-wise, after feed & etc., the payback on that hardware should be somewhere around March of 2837 AD.

I also saw chicken tractors on the net that cost $1200.00 to build, and decided mine would cost a lot less--even using almost all new materials.

Avoiding factory hardware is a great way to keep costs down.

An old leather belt can be re-purposed as a rainproof strap hinge for a nest box--but it's only good for about forty years before you have to replace it.

Thing is, at $0.25 per belt--the dang thing is gonna wind up costin' you over a penny and a half a year!

Fortunately, you don't have to oil it to keep it from squeakin', so you can just about break even on it, on account of that.

Heh. My chicken tractor has a total of seven hinges. Six of them are made out of wood. The seventh hinge is the reason I can now dress fashionably and show everyone all the pretty pictures on my underwear.

·
mad chicken scientist
35 Posts
I make these feeders for all my coops, you cut a slot out of the pipe and screw the 5" sewer cap on the botom, never cloggs up and you can adjust the height in order to minimize waste.

Attachments

·
mad chicken scientist
35 Posts
as a rule about two inches, but you can adjust it depending on how messy your birds are

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.