Chicken Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am wanting to get chickens next spring. I've read up a decent amount and have acquired lumber to build their house. I live on a half acre lot with ample privacy and friendly, trustworthy, neighbors. Can anyone here, foresee major chances of being caught? I have a gut feeling I will be fine. I just want to hear anyone's story about attempting something like this. I do have a B, C, and D plan if i get pinched.

· Administrator
25,039 Posts
LOL You sound like a thief in the night. "If you get pinched."

Most of us live in places where the birds are allowed. Avoid at all costs having a rooster in the flock. Keep the coop off the property line. Give the excess eggs to your neighbors.

Other than that there isn't much to say except good luck and hope the powers that be never discover your little flock. So many have been hurt because they got caught and the birds had to go.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL You sound like a thief in the night. "If you get pinched."

Most of us live in places where the birds are allowed. Avoid at all costs having a rooster in the flock. Keep the coop off the property line. Give the excess eggs to your neighbors.

Other than that there isn't much to say except good luck and hope the powers that be never discover your little flock. So many have been hurt because they got caught and the birds had to go.
Thank you for the reply. I figured a rooster would draw some heat. Im going to plant privacy trees all around it and try to blend it into the shed....

· Registered
159 Posts
I think it largely depends on how nosey your town officials are, as well as your relationship with your neighbors. Just because your current neighbors might not mind the chickens doesn't mean future neighbors will be so accommodating. And even if your neighbors don't mind now, if you tick them off all it takes is a phone call...and some might say they're fine with farm animals living in the neighborhood to your face, but might make that phone call to the city behind your back.

I do see a pretty high chance of being caught. I think you'd probably get away with it for a while, as many people do, but eventually an official will have to gain access to your property to fix utilities or survey something or whatever it is that they do, and suddenly you get a letter in your mail. There is a lady who has a chicken blog that had to deal with something similar, if you care to read about it:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum!
I think it largely depends on how nosey your town officials are, as well as your relationship with your neighbors. Just because your current neighbors might not mind the chickens doesn't mean future neighbors will be so accommodating. And even if your neighbors don't mind now, if you tick them off all it takes is a phone call...and some might say they're fine with farm animals living in the neighborhood to your face, but might make that phone call to the city behind your back.

I do see a pretty high chance of being caught. I think you'd probably get away with it for a while, as many people do, but eventually an official will have to gain access to your property to fix utilities or survey something or whatever it is that they do, and suddenly you get a letter in your mail. There is a lady who has a chicken blog that had to deal with something similar, if you care to read about it:

Thank you for this, very helpful.

· Administrator
25,039 Posts
See those three stupid dots at the top right of your post? Some idiot thought we should all know instinctively that the ability to edit is hidden inside them. Or that users would want to read a user manual to learn all the hidden secrets.

Seriously, if you click on those three dots edit will appear and you can fix typos.

· Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
New to chickens and new here. Advice from someone who just had 2 re-home 2 little Roos (supposed to be girls). We are not supposed to have chickens in city limits (neighborhood) but we do. Our neighbors don’t care BUT of course we cannot have roosters. My 2 little Roos were lucky enough to be taken in by someone who treats them like pets (I had to give one away and then the next day another little “girl” started to crow!). They are hard to re-home and heartbreaking (to some) to give up. My Roos were from hard to sex breeds so my advice from someone with little chicken knowledge is: try to maybe pick easier to sex breeds.
Good luck with your future flock 🐥
Please excuse the fact that I had to include cute roo pix 😂
Bird Beak Chicken Galliformes Terrestrial animal
Feather Fawn Liver Basket Companion dog
Feather Fawn Liver Basket Companion dog

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not have a good feeling about getting permission but I do feel i will be able to sneak them in, and have a slight chance of keeping them if I get caught. The base of my coop is already made and I am looking good for having everything ready by the spring.
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Engineering

· Registered
47 Posts
For your winter research project, here’s something that’ll bound to be helpful:
We recommend you do a web browser search for right-to-farm act. Wiki has a good article about it. It may give you some ammo on the situation, should it go awry. Also, Farm Bureau, from what I understand, is one of several farming pro-active legal groups. Chickens are considered ‘livestock’.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts