Chicken Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living next to Cherokee National Forest results in a constant visit from roaming deer. They love certain tree leaves and plants. Deer Scram which is nothing more than blood meal pellets will be used to protect plants and small trees. I have 5 free range chickens and concerned that they will eat the pellets. Is blood meal poisonous to chickens?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
We are in the woods in Wisconsin , we love when the deer come into the yard and hang out. We have wild turkey that hang out with our chickens too. I just put a deer fence up around my fence.

As for the pellets and chickens I looked online and have not found anywhere where it says its harmful. Personally I wouldn't risk it. But that's me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, we love the deer too and certainly wouldn't hurt them. But we spend a lot of money on trees, flowers and now thornless blackberries. We wanted to place a band of the pellets around the plot to scare away the deer. I'm inclined to agree with you about the chickens in the absence of nothing on the Internet about the dangers. The only option is to place an electric fence around the area.

Thanks for the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts