December Chick's

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by Tanji, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Tanji

Tanji New Member

My hen was sneaky and hatched an egg! should i just leave them to do there thing in the coop?

2. Hardyboy0331

Hardyboy0331 New Member

I say no..... i would remove and keep it in a warmer place ..... but i also do not know where u live . I am in va.. so the weather is crazy ... can be 60 one day and 40 the next..... but a warm box.. or bring them in the house

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'd leave them together but inside a garage or shed. Mom will keep baby warm but they need time away I think.

4. Hardyboy0331

Hardyboy0331 New Member

True... if you want to keep mom with baby.. if u know who mom is ... but baby needs warm shelter

5. piglett

piglett Senior Member

unless you have a heatlamp to keep on the lone baby at 95f let the hen take care of it
    just make sure baby has water that it can get to
    mom will break up the food for it so no worries there

i think we need a picture of the fluffball!

6. patlet

patlet New Member

I usually give mom and the kids their own cage (i move them just before they hatch out) until mom says "let me out". It's always earlier than I think it should be but mom knows best!

7. Tanji

Tanji New Member

Thank you for all the great replys! sadly my chick passed away all was good for 2 1/2 weeks and we had company, no one said not to leave them together and i never got a chance to check the site so.. i think i know what to do different if I get the chance to have babys again!

8. soccerchicken12

soccerchicken12 New Member

Oh I'm soooo sorry for your loss