Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our hens went broody, so we let her have 2 eggs just to see what happened. She only started laying about 2 weeks prior. Neither egg was hers, but I knew that didn't matter. We weren't even sure if the eggs were fertile because all of our chickens are under 1 year. One egg either fell out of the nest box, or got kicked out on day 10. Sure enough there was a chick inside. I tried to candle both eggs & couldn't see much. They are on ff food, and I think the shells are so thick. So now we are day 23, and no sign of hatching. She is still sitting on the egg. I'm just wondering how long we let her sit on it, or will she just get off on her own?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
She'll get off on her own. I would give it a few more days. In a few days if it still hasn't hatched you should be able to sniff test it. If its no good it will stink :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kaufranc said:
Can you hear any tapping in the egg?
i
I candled last night, and only about half the egg was dark. I didn't try yo listen to it. I don't want to take it from her too often. I will listen later today

·
Administrator
20,615 Posts
Half full and its beyond hatch date indicates the embryo died. Might as well take it from her so she will join the flock and build herself back up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts