Day 22...

Discussion in 'Hatching Eggs' started by James Candfield, Jun 4, 2020.

1. James Candfield

James Candfield New Member

I have just had two chicks hatch at the start of day 22, there is one other chick with a pip in and the other 3 have nothing, should i just leave them in for a day and see what happens?

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Yes. Maybe two days. It sounds like your temps were running too low so it's slowed the peeps down.

Have you candled to see if the other three were developing properly?

A trick I discovered is that you can hold the egg to your ear in a quiet room and hear the peeps moving around in the egg so you might want to do that. And if number three chick starts screaming you might have to help.

James Candfield likes this.

3. James Candfield

I did candle yes, I started with 9 and had 6 good looking eggs on the 18th day. The second chick to hatch wa a first to pip 24hours before it then hatched. Number three is poking its beak through the shell every now and then. The others not a peep, hard to hear them with the other two chirping away.

I will give it to tomorrow morning which would be 24hours and review from there. Temp has been at 37.5 37.7 although I checked after the two eggs hatched and it went up to 37.9 so I have brought back down to 37.5.

Humidity is hard to judge as it is my first hatch, I have the mini eco II Brinsea and they say if both sections in the middle are filled up it is the same as 65% ish, which they are.

4. James Candfield

Can I take the eggs out to listen in this period ?

5. robin416

Yes, you can. It won't hurt anything for the short time you'll have them out. But if you don't hear anything don't think they're dead. They surprise all of us. There have been a couple that discarded an egg only to hear a chick peeping in the trash can.

Temps will climb as they begin to hatch, it's all the heat the peeps put out working to get out of the shell. But if you're using the digital built into the Brinsea chances are it's not reading accurately. Those built in units are notorius for being wrong.

6. James Candfield

Ok cheers for that. Will just leave it for now and post an update tomorrow morning, no movement from any of the eggs at the moment.

Sylie likes this.
  7. robin416

No movement doesn't sound like they're viable. But you got at least three so no singles. Having a single is the worst.

8. James Candfield

Such a shame as they were definitely all in when i put them in for lockdown. What would have caused this?

9. robin416

10. James Candfield

11. robin416

Excellent! Goes to show they can be sneaky about hatching.

Keep an ear out for number 3. If it starts loudly crying you'll have to step in to give it a hand. If you don't know how to do it, you peel a little shell and membrane from where it's pipped, you want to follow the same path they do around the egg. But if you see blood, stop and set it back for a few hours. Then try again. So many get stuck because they dried out and can't maneuver well.

12. James Candfield

That’s really helpful cheers, I will give it to tomorrow morning as the second chick took almost a day after pip. Is this down to low humidity and temperatures?

13. robin416

It sounds as though your temps were a bit low due to the extended hatching going on.

If humidity is too low it can complicate things but number 3 pip could have caused the issue for itself. It's fairly common if they pip and don't come out of the shell in 24 hours the air that's entering dries everything out. But there's the tap dance of did they pip before they were actually ready to hatch? Are the veins in the membrane all dried up, is the yolk fully absorbed?

For an easier hatch next time you need to pick up something to keep an eye on humidity. You can't depend on the instructions, so much plays into ambient atmosphere on where humidity in the incubator stands.

14. James Candfield

CDE6307E-3183-405E-9637-A200F96E93B8.jpeg
    Not sure what to do at the moment. The pipped shell on number three is starting to turn brown and close up? I have added a picture so you can see what I mean

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2020
  15. robin416

That chick is probably dead. Take it away from the incubator and begin to remove the shell and membrane. Probably over a sink or the trash would be safest.

16. James Candfield

977AE819-E31B-442E-A8A6-7A3B62CE3902.jpeg
    Update , hatched 3 , 2 unhatched and 1 did die in the shell this morning. Should’ve possibly intervened last night and the outcome may have been different. Thanks for all your help, do I encourage them to drink and eat or will they find it naturally in the brooder

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2020
  17. robin416

They have three days before the need of food or water. So, you can wait to see if they discover it on their own. One of the tricks I used was to agitate the water which seemed to get them curious enough to try it. Same with the food.

Congrats on the three that did make it out. I think the one that died after pipping was probably gone last night, you don't see that browning like that if it was alive.

When you do this again, because you will, listen for quiet peeping from those that have externally pipped. You didn't mention this one at all about making any sound so it may have expired shortly after pipping.

18. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

They are sweet and adorable and I'm jealous! lol
    Congratz on the ones that made it and don't worry too much about the others, hatch rates are rarely 100%, we just do what we can to learn from the experience for next time.

Just think about the things that you learned this time. Temperatures, humidity, the egg going brown (indicating the death) etc. Next time you will know more about what to look for and like Robin said, how and what you need to listen for.

You did just fine :)

19. James Candfield

Thanks a lot :)

Sylie likes this.