Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 sweedish flower eggs which are a night away from lockdown. Hoping to get more then just 2 out of this one.
I've made a lot of fixes to the coolerbator, using it as a hatcher an I am liking the stability I have achieved.
Wish me luck, I've yet to get the hang of hatching.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to keep at it. My goal is a 75% hatch out or better. I've accepted that it likely won't happen with shipped eggs, but I've got my ladies laying me a few eggs a day so hopefully I can save up a dozen in a week and set a bunch of y own eggs.

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
Hatching shipped eggs is a challenge. I have only hatched a few batches of shipped eggs with probably a 50% hatch rate average. Hatching my own eggs is much more fun to me. You can just mix and match and create whatever you want to. Of course sometime you have to use shipped eggs to get your flock started or add new blood.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more quit, 5 on lockdown had movement. 1 appeared behind the rest.. Here's to a nearly 50% on eggs shipped from across the country. ImageUploadedByChicken Forum1391462574.157536.jpg
And a shot showing my humidity set up. 2 dishes with sponges and cloth, and 2 big mason jars open lids during lockdown gives me 65-75%.
Since my last batches seemed to failed because of humidity, I'm hoping the increase will help that. ImageUploadedByChicken Forum1391462671.182358.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In lockdown the rest quit. Eggopsy showed most with a nasty dark color inside, one had a nearly fully formed bird.
Now I must ask, what am I doing wrong. These all were moving 3 days ago, now they are dead. Any thoughts or suggestions. The one with a chick in it looked like the membrane was still dry, despite everything I had in the coolerbator for lockdown.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never found the need to get caught up in brand names. But even then the eggs incubated in a brand name bator and were moved to my diy for hatching..
Low temps and high humidity may have even my issue

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I placed the next batch set to hatch on Sunday into the coolerbator. I removed all the water trays leaving my mason jars full of water and open. I am sitting right at 40% rh. 6 of 8 have noticeable movement, one even appears to have internally pipped. The 2 without movement are too dark to tell for sure.
Hope this go round is not so tough.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have now added some water to the bator and closed the main vent hole, as suggested by the dry hatch method. Hopefully things go well, this pip is a day earlier then I expected.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yup, just an accurate one! I find lights are not consultant with heating! It is much harder to have a good hatch when using lights as a form of heat! Good luck with next batch!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts