Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you (or *do* you?) "date" your eggs? Do you rotate the eggs you collect to use them "in the order collected?" Or don't you? I have a friend who writes on them with a marker the date collected (ex.: 4/1, or Apr 1).

I'm finding we've got so many eggs on the counter that I have trouble remembering which were collected first! But I'm not sure I like the idea of writing on them with a marker. Any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I just write a # on the egg carton as I fill them. 1, 2, 3, 4 ect. 1 means eat first and so on. If I get more than 2 doz in the fridge at a time I start pickling them or giving them away.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I used to get our eggs at Costco. When I knew we were going to be getting chickens I started saving the big flat cartons. I fill mine up front to back. When I use them I always pull from the front, and move the rest forward. I worked retail for many years and rotating stock is just a natural thing for me now.

·
1,466 Posts
i date each egg & also add what breed it came from
this is only because i want to set them in the incubator every Wed.
if they were just for eating i would just put them in the fridge.

·
Country Gurl
62 Posts
I have a pencil and fine sand paper in my egg basket, and I write the breed and the date. All eggs are put in the bator at 9:00P.M so they hatch at night. I will collect until I have 36 or so, then place then in the bator. So I'll have staggered hatches at 7 days apart. Then I'll start collecting again if needed.

VIVI

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas!

I really didn't like the thought of using a marker (egg shells are porous, after all), but hadn't thought about a pencil (duh!).

I saw on the Internet some cool countertop wire egg stand, in the shape of a coil. You add your eggs at the top, and use them from the bottom. I thought *THAT* was ingenious! ;-)

·
Registered
764 Posts
What about a grease pencil? Or charcoal to wrote on it if you are eating them? My husband said "won't the lead absorb into the egg?"

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the pencil "lead" is actually graphite, which I don't think is dangerous.... But I could be wrong?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Happeesupermom said:
Thanks for the ideas!

I really didn't like the thought of using a marker (egg shells are porous, after all), but hadn't thought about a pencil (duh!).

I saw on the Internet some cool countertop wire egg stand, in the shape of a coil. You add your eggs at the top, and use them from the bottom. I thought *THAT* was ingenious! ;-)
Graphite. No risk.

·
Registered
513 Posts
A pencil, normal graphite one or a charcoal one. It wouldn't do any harm to the quality of the eggs. Just number them by collection date :)

·
1,466 Posts
I have a pencil and fine sand paper in my egg basket, and I write the breed and the date. All eggs are put in the bator at 9:00P.M so they hatch at night. I will collect until I have 36 or so, then place then in the bator. So I'll have staggered hatches at 7 days apart. Then I'll start collecting again if needed.

VIVI
how are things in Tx Viv?
i set all my eggs every Wed. i'm always off on that day so that day works for me. each week i fill however many spaces on the turner that i have open.
we date all our eggs & put them in cartons, when it's time to set we use the freshest ones & cook up the rest for the flock for their breakfast.

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

VIVI
What do you use the fine sand paper for?

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh... I've wondered how to get them cleaned off without washing them. What grade of sand paper do you use?

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
kaufranc said:
Why don't you wanna wash them ?
The egg has a natural "bloom" on its surface that protects against bacteria. You wash it, your egg is more susceptible to spoiling (for eating) or not hatching. If you absolutely HAVE to wash it, do so just before cooking.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts