Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rotten neighbor's rotten dog (from across the street) found a place to squeeze into my back yard. Hens making a ruckus, I knew something wrong. I got out there as quick as I could (over 60 and move slow) to find this nasty smallish dog terrorizing my hens. I yelled at it and I think it must have figured out that if I got hold of it, I would have killed it with my bare hands, and after a couple of last lunges at my girls, it ran to the place where it got in and squeezed itself back out. I have blocked that, and my girls are all ok now except for poor Izabella (one of my black australorps) who lost a great quantity of tail and back-end feathers (it was cornered in a nest box and turned tail to the dog). One of my amber-whites hid so well I couldn't find her, but after more than an hour came out unharmed. Yup, it is time to get me a gun. I know it is the owner's fault, not the dog's, but the law won't let me shoot the owner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had the same issues here. I have a neighbor who let's three dogs run loose. They terrorize the whole street by digging under fences which lets other predators in and tearing through trash on trash day.

They also get in my yard and go after my chickens. I confronted the owner and he said he doesn't believe a dog should be penned up. He said this standing in front of 6 kennels used to keep his hunting dogs ... the hypocrite.

I told him my chickens are worth more to me than his dogs and I'd have to shoot them if they kept digging into my yard and killing me chickens. His response was, "you gotta do what you gotta do". That's all I needed to hear.

I hope it works out for you and your hen is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Chicken Forum

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tatters (formerly Izabella) is fine and laying again, although she has changed nesting boxes to a safer one. Sounds like your neighbor has no love for the loose dogs, not caring if they live or die. You would probably be doing the dogs a favor. You are right to call him a hypocrit, since he confines the ones he values. This way he gets you to solve his problem without being out even the cost of bullets. Sounds like a dirtbag to me.

I've had the same issues here. I have a neighbor who let's three dogs run loose. They terrorize the whole street by digging under fences which lets other predators in and tearing through trash on trash day.

They also get in my yard and go after my chickens. I confronted the owner and he said he doesn't believe a dog should be penned up. He said this standing in front of 6 kennels used to keep his hunting dogs ... the hypocrite.

I told him my chickens are worth more to me than his dogs and I'd have to shoot them if they kept digging into my yard and killing me chickens. His response was, "you gotta do what you gotta do". That's all I needed to hear.

I hope it works out for you and your hen is ok.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Tatters (formerly Izabella) is fine and laying again, although she has changed nesting boxes to a safer one. Sounds like your neighbor has no love for the loose dogs, not caring if they live or die. You would probably be doing the dogs a favor. You are right to call him a hypocrit, since he confines the ones he values. This way he gets you to solve his problem without being out even the cost of bullets. Sounds like a dirtbag to me.
I have 3 packs (6-8 dogs per pack) of loose dogs... I can't blame their owners because they don't have them.

I keep calling animal control but alas they escape or evade the dog catcher. I don't care if I sound heartless, they need to go somewhere else. If it's a kill shelter, so be it. If it's a happy family, that's better but they aren't doing any good as mating strays. Did I mention they are mostly dachshund and chihuahua mixes but they are also medium to large mutts that look like pit mixes.

They aren't mean, just destructive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
is it legal to shoot them in your area?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, shooting is legal, letting dog/s run loose is not.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you want to know for sure just call the sherif dept. and ask. I live in Arkansas and if the animal is coming on your property and destroying stuff & killing animals the officers that came out when I called said, "shoot them." Just make sure they are shot dead on your property.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here is a thought to make it easier for you there is a cage you can make and bait it so that the animal when it goes inside and bites the bait the door slams shut (we used to tie a hot dog to the string cuz it is easily torn when bit at which allowed the cage door to drop easily). In Hawaii we called them mongoose traps and due to the small size of the dogs they would be easy to trap cuz the size of the cage don't need to be really big. That way you could haul them off to a shelter or shoot when they are caught instead of trying to catch them in the act. Just an idea. I have had lots of problems with those kind of people it is sad and frustrating. I am so sorry your going through that. :(

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'm hoping for now that the problem is solved (hopefully not temporarily) Guy who lives there has grown son who doesn't live there, but comes over daily to do shade-tree mechaniking. (dad has all the tools)... TT guy's ex-wife (mother of son), told her I didn't know which of them the dog belongs to (turns out, son). Advised her to advise son to control dog or it would be shot, she understands, recently lost a couple of chickens to dogs as well. She passed it on, he said...I didn't know Karen had chickens...(see how quiet a flock is when no roo). I'm also replacing the temporary fence with permanent. Always intended to do it, maybe done within week, we'll see how it goes. The fence should be proof against '***** as well, I hope.

·
1,466 Posts
Glad your chickens are okay. How scary for you and them! Pump bb gun works wonders.
a 12ga with OObuck does a better job;)

if i have to choose between my birds being killed or some stray
my flock wins out every time
the reason being is stray dogs don't make my breakfast
but my chickens do

if the dog owner doesn't care if your birds die then i have no real problem with plugging their pooch if it shows up looking to do harm

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you want to know for sure just call the sherif dept. and ask. I live in Arkansas and if the animal is coming on your property and destroying stuff & killing animals the officers that came out when I called said, "shoot them." Just make sure they are shot dead on your property.

It's the law in NC that you can do that. Animal control told me I had the right to do it, however normally I use a BB gun and drive them away. Smart ones don't come back. However after a neighbor called the police, I found out from the local sheriffs department it's against the law to shoot at a stray dog on your property. This is why now my whole danged property is fenced in. If one jumps that fence it is dead. I don't give a rats backside what the county PD wants to say about it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Out here I am blessed to have neighbors who own guns and we all will use them and we don't mess with BBguns. Now I have used rat shot in my 22 to show a neighbors dog I mean business, but not kill him. Didn't want to destroy a friendship and that's the only reason I used rat shot in my 22 instead of something else. I hate killing animals, but also hate going out and finding my chickens dead every where. We don't have any animal control to deal with stuff so we have to do it ourself. Had a coyote that kept coming to close to our house ten feet is WAY to close! Neighbor told me he saw it two nights in a row and to warn my kids about it and said he'd take care of it. He did few nights latter. Told my hubby I wanted to fence the three acres we have. He said we would look unsocial. I rolled my eyes and said I so what I don't care. Well after years of living out here he wishes we had fenced it. Guess maybe I should have pushed for it to be fenced.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hildar I don't blame you on not giving a rats back side. I fully understand!

I got after a neighbor the other day about his big rooster. I caught it trying to come into my yard. When I threw a rock at it, his wife complained big time. I told him right outright that if he comes over my fence and into my yard. I will be having some chicken soup for supper. I try and keep show birds here and good breeding stock I wont tolerate a stray rooster coming in and breeding with my girls. If he wants more hens for that boy let him go buy some.

Dogs I don't eat. But just one of them ever gets in this yard it will be called drop dead Fred. I have told all of my neighbors the same thing, and went over the county ordinances, it states that I can shoot any dog on my property that attacks one of my family or harms one of my farm animals, so next time its the shotgun. No and's, ifs or buts about it. The dog wont be leaving my yard alive. If the local police try to take me to jail about it. I will take them to court for obstruction of justice.:mad:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hildar
I am having similar issues though slightly different and it is so frustrating. I have a neighbor who has by last count 15 roosters and 6 hens. She don't do anything with them just lets them roam and feeds and waters them. The hens stay hid a lot under her storage shed and the roosters are so frustrated I witnessed one grab a beak full of grass and mate with the ground. I am serious! no lie! I was so shocked my mouth gapped open so large a horse fly could have made a home in it. I have other caged birds finches, a button quail, parakeet and a love bird and I knew through reading that they will do that sometimes out of frustration due to not having a mate, but never in all my years of raising chickens have I ever witnessed that. The chickens have destroyed my flowers so I will have to try again to talk to her about it. Really don't want to have bad blood between us, but I will be planting flowers and vegetables from now on so she has to do something. It's not fair to me to have to deal with un-penned chickens and the damage they do. The neighbor on the other side of me when I asked him to pen his chickens he told me put up a three foot high fence around my flower bed. What a joke! His flies up in trees to roost at night. Guess his will just be ending up dead. Very sad cuz I like them both and it don't have to be this way. They are good neighbors other then this.
It's not just dogs but it can be any animal that is allowed to roam that is a problem that includes chickens. When mine was roaming free I told both neighbors if thy are a bother in ANY WAY let me know and I will take care of it. Sad that they don't extend the same courtesy to me.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hildar
I am having similar issues though slightly different and it is so frustrating. I have a neighbor who has by last count 15 roosters and 6 hens. She don't do anything with them just lets them roam and feeds and waters them. The hens stay hid a lot under her storage shed and the roosters are so frustrated I witnessed one grab a beak full of grass and mate with the ground. I am serious! no lie! I was so shocked my mouth gapped open so large a horse fly could have made a home in it. I have other caged birds finches, a button quail, parakeet and a love bird and I knew through reading that they will do that sometimes out of frustration due to not having a mate, but never in all my years of raising chickens have I ever witnessed that. The chickens have destroyed my flowers so I will have to try again to talk to her about it. Really don't want to have bad blood between us, but I will be planting flowers and vegetables from now on so she has to do something. It's not fair to me to have to deal with un-penned chickens and the damage they do. The neighbor on the other side of me when I asked him to pen his chickens he told me put up a three foot high fence around my flower bed. What a joke! His flies up in trees to roost at night. Guess his will just be ending up dead. Very sad cuz I like them both and it don't have to be this way. They are good neighbors other then this.
It's not just dogs but it can be any animal that is allowed to roam that is a problem that includes chickens. When mine was roaming free I told both neighbors if thy are a bother in ANY WAY let me know and I will take care of it. Sad that they don't extend the same courtesy to me.

You need to do like my mom did, she got tired of the neighbors guinea hens flying up on our roof at 6 am in the morning and making so much noise. She told the man if he didn't do something she would kill them. One morning I heard shots, and went out and she had shot 5 of the 6 of them. She fixed them up for supper that night and invited the neighbor over to share the meal with us. He never knew it was his Guineas but he sure liked her cooking.:D

·
Registered
743 Posts
I laughed about it after he left that night. However we never did see (Or hear) his other guinea, so I guess it either stayed at home or headed for the hills. My mom cooked him up a stew one day and took it over she never told him what was in there for meat or that his rabbit had been eating all of the garden up, but he ate it and enjoyed it. He asked a week later if we had seen his rabbit. My mom was so calm about it, and said "yes, it was in your stew the other day" We never had another issue with any of his animals. But the look on his face that day was priceless.;) I have to say though for a 68 year old woman she was still a good shot, and a great cook.:D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts