Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an chick (buff orpington) to that has a cross beak, from what I see online it can be caused by a spike in temp in the bator, or genetics. I have one roo, 3 hens, I would hate to stop breeding them all if I don't have to, if it is genetic, how could I figure out if it is the roo, or which hen?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got ahold of the breeder that I purchased the original flock from, she said in 6 years of breeding, she has seen some strange stuff...but with the cross beak, only had a handful of issues. So, I guess it is not something to be over concerned about yet, but to monitor. I think for a while, I will set back some buffs from each hatch a bit longer, just to get a good sampling from to make sure no additional issues that I need to adjust the breeding flock, fingers crossed it was a spike in temp, not genitics.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My daughter has a crossed beak chick she brought home from TSC. It is four weeks old. She feeds it Boston cream pie yogurt, and it seems happy so far. My question is has anyone had a crossed beak pet chicken? Any advise you can pass on?

image-53842657.jpg

Attachments

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Here I am!!! I had a cross beaked chick named Rastuss, and he grew into a rooster, and something got him in a massacre around here. But I fed him separately in a plastic coffee cup. He learned that was his feeder, that cup, and while the others were out free ranging, he was feeding from his cup. I also filled the cup before I left, and I had it filled twice a day for him. They learn to fill their bottom beak with food, and just roll it down their throat. So a cup or bowl deep enough to dig into will be fine. Same with a deeper waterer, just so they can't get into it. He still tried to scratch and peck like chickens do, but they can't pick up anything off the ground and it was kinda sad to watch, but he didn't care. He was spoiled rotten, and he knew it. It was like a secret that we shared. :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you FuzzyButt. That makes us feel a lot better. My daughter puts he hand down into the brooder and he comes running to her. He runs right up on her arm. :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
they (cross beaks) happen from time to time.....I cull them when I get them because some just cant eat well enough on their own to survive! that's just my opinion....I don't enjoy hand feeding a deformed chicken so they are dispatched round here!;)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BuckeyeChickens said:
they (cross beaks) happen from time to time.....I cull them when I get them because some just cant eat well enough on their own to survive! that's just my opinion....I don't enjoy hand feeding a deformed chicken so they are dispatched round here!;)
Fuzzie has a nice story and it is great to hear, however, I have to follow buckeyes school of though on this one. It was sad and not easy, but felt it necessary.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jim said:
Fuzzie has a nice story and it is great to hear, however, I have to follow buckeyes school of though on this one. It was sad and not easy, but felt it necessary.
Understood. This is a lesson my daughter will have to learn the hard way, I guess. She knows it will be a commitment. This morning she text me her chick got out of the brooder. She said it was at her bedroom door squawking at her, as to say "well I can't get the yogurt my self"! Thank you all for your help.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
I know what happens to chickens that aren't pets that aren't completely well. And I started to mention that as bad as that chick is, culling may be the best option. But I am a chicken as a pet lover, and if she is willing to help it as much as it needs, then go for it!!! :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
It's not easy culling chicks or teaching our kids why it must be done....it's part of the process, if we are going to teach our children where our food comes from or how we process our fowl we really should teach them the responsible ways of producing the best stock we can. All this hatching is fun and a great learning tool but there is that "ugly" side of the coin and we should embrace it, pass on our traditions and explain the way things have to be.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AuntyM said:
Understood. This is a lesson my daughter will have to learn the hard way, I guess. She knows it will be a commitment. This morning she text me her chick got out of the brooder. She said it was at her bedroom door squawking at her, as to say "well I can't get the yogurt my self"! Thank you all for your help.
That is cute.

·
977 Posts
We also had a crossbeak EE. We named her Oddball! She got along great. We also had a bucket she would eat out of . Big enough for her to scoop food out of. She was one of the friendliest and would coming running when she saw us because she knew we were going to feed her bucket! She got eaten by a fox but lived a spoil life while she was here!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I currently have one...was sold to me as a hen looks like a hen but crows like a rooster. He has had no problems. He eats with everyone, drinks with everyone and sleeps with everyone. Oh did I mention there are a total of 6 roosters in my coop...but that's another rant.

They can do fine in the coop with everyone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had one with no beak at all once. I didn't get pics of him. He was able to eat from a cup, and drink from a cup deep enough that he could dunk his head. He was doing okay, untill a varmit got him.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Thanks for all of this information as I have the same situation with an Americauna chick. My first flock....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts