Critically Endangered: The Barred Holland

By GPS1504, Mar 17, 2014 | |
  1. GPS1504

GPS1504 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
  2. sd6104

sd6104 New Member

I am new to chicken raising and bought these for eggs and pets, not for meat. I figured I would only breed to expand or replace my flock over the years. I have 1 Rooster and 7 Hens that will be 1 year old on April 2nd, they look just like the Barred Holland in the picture but I was told that they were Barred Rock's. I have been getting 6 eggs a day on average since they were about six months old. They are mostly friendly, the Rooster is the only one that won't run when I pick him up, but he does get a little agressive every now and then. They have been mostly enjoyable and not that much work to keep them happy. It is not that clear from the article if I should be breeding them to maintain the breed, and sell them at a premium price, or that they are not that desireable to others and I would just be over run with them? Also, how do I breed them? My hens usually hop off their eggs after they lay them. I would assume if they were in a maternal way, they would be sitting on them most of the day and I would have to chase them off their eggs. Any suggestions?

3. Hollandchicks

Hollandchicks New Member

@sd6104 Hi, I just saw your comment and was wondering if your chickens lay white eggs? You said you were told they were Barred Rocks. Rocks would lay brown eggs and have even barring. Hollands would have un even ....more cuckoo barring and lay white eggs. Also, the Roo and hen should have six points instead of five. It would be so awesome if someone sold you Barred Hollands thinking they were Barred Rocks. If they did go buy more. Suzanne