Crazy Buff Orpington ?

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by vmjllc, May 14, 2017.

1. vmjllc

vmjllc New Member

I have a Buff Orpington that stays on the top roost in the coop probably 95% of the day. She just walks back & forth all day long, just squawking. None of my other Orpingtons do this, nor do my other breeds. Is there something wrong with her?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

does she eat? It doesn't sound normal. Is there someone bullying her?

3. vmjllc

vmjllc New Member

I see her down once in awhile, so I assume she's eating, drinking and laying her egg each day. She's a big buff with any attitude and I've never seen anyone picking on her, so I don't think she's being bullied.

4. seminolewind

I would get myself a drink and sit out with them and study what's going on. Is there a rooster there?

5. vmjllc

vmjllc New Member

There is a rooster, but I don't recall seeing him on her.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

You're right Vmjllc. She IS crazy: CERTIFIED!

7. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Chickens have individual personalities.Maybe your BO is a loner.I've had a couple that didn't like being with the flock and would hide from the others.They preferred to be with me.

8. vmjllc

vmjllc New Member

Hmmm... might be. That crazy bird squawks and pecks at people too. Maybe she just all the sudden hates everything & everybody ? We've had her for about a year and it's only been the last 2-3 months she's been like this. Weird...

melaniebazzell likes this.
  9. oldhen2345

oldhen2345 Oldhen2345

Crazy Orpington

My BO, Alberta is my pal. She sits on my lap every morning to discuss the day. She is a little crazy too. She marches back and forth in front of the gate every morning around 6:45 and screeches until I come out with the food. I know my neighbors hate me. I don't have a roo, but this is just as loud. At night, I usually sit out on the patio and watch Chicken TV until they go in for the night. That silly chicken stands in the pop door and screeches until I go in the house. I guess she thinks I am too dumb to know it is bedtime. LOL.

10. vmjllc

vmjllc New Member

OMG...LMBO ! Gotta love the chickens... even the crazy old birds.

11. seminolewind

I have a psycho too. Sees me, cries for me till I pick her up, follows me around, pecks at me, loves to be rocked. I can't hold her and let her face me, lol.

12. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I dont have a psycho hen. However one of my Barred Rock hens throws her chest out, flaps her wings, sticks her neck up and crows like a rooster...a sick crow. She does this most mornings until I go out to the pen and give them some crack. She has ME trained lol.
    Just as long as she keeps laying eggs, I dont care if she crows all day.

Wilbur's Mom likes this.
  13. vmjllc

vmjllc New Member

A crowing hen...now that's funny ! Makes her special. :)

14. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it happens once in awhile when there isnt a rooster in the flock. The dominant hen will sometimes act like a rooster. Just as long as she doesnt change sex and continues to lay eggs, I wont cull her.

15. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I think a lot of us have "special" chickens.I have Precious,who was an only chick that grew up with the dog.She thinks she is a dog and bullies the dog who is terrified of her and just her.She will hold an egg in until she gets in the house to the dirty laundry basket to lay.She gets on the couch and naps,like the dog, and will chase him off to take his warm spot.She likes to have her belly rubbed.She's my "special"chicken.

16. vmjllc

vmjllc New Member

WOW ! That's a cool chicken ! Is Precious potty trained to go outside ? If so, how did you get her to do that ? I'd love to do that with mine so I can avoid chicken diapers.

17. melaniebazzell

melaniebazzell Member

I've got a crazy Buff Orpington also. Her name is BaldMeanie.

She's constantly chattering, wants to be in my lap all the time, but when I let her in my lap she pecks at me.

She loves to be snuggled, but I can't really trust her. Most of my Orpington's have been trustworthy and would never have peck me. This one can be an a-hole. Pardon my honesty.

She's number four in the pecking order, and she was trying to dominate the other birds so much that they ganged up on her and pull all the feathers off of her head. They did it very meticulously as well, there were no scabs or blood, she was completely bald headed. It took her down a few notches.

I love her very much, but she's just so hot and cold and she's really smart too. She's a character! But I love her so much![​IMG]

oldhen2345 likes this.
  18. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Click on "details" and you'll see that girl in all her bald headed glory.

19. Steinwand

Steinwand Member

I have a Sebright hen who loves my attention (probably because she gets extra treats) whenI walk out side she cackles really loud and notifies all the other hens I'm out she loves to fly up on me and beg for treats and flying up on the back porch 15ft above the ground and look in the window my dad hates it!

20. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Steinwand.