Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...don't you think putting light by my coops will cause a way for more predators to visit:(???? It's pitch black where my chickens are so by putting light, don't you think it would lead more predators in.....i wanted to do like a bright sensor light so if movement came it would flash and scare them away...but I'm thinking...just out of curiosity...wouldn't having full light all night cause predators to visit

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just guessing I think it would scare them off. Most predators are night hunters an dont like being seen! I leave lights and a radio on and have coyotes trying to get my calves just a few hundred yards away from the house!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
No lights are not going to scare a coyote away. Once it flashes once and they see nothing comes out after them they'll go right back to attempting to get food. What keeps them away is a strong coop that they cant get into and a 20gauge shotgun.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Apyl is correct. Your best bet is a strong coop. However I had a strong, sturdy coop that kept out all predators, until a black bear punched through the roof.

You only find your weaknesses when it's too late. :) That's why it's great to post photos here, other people can sometimes catch problems in the design from our different experiences.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok i am just wandering out of curiosity kinda wandering if the light would do anything personally i don't want any lights out there :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Radio shack has a flashing red LED for about $6 I think. Two AA batteries, mine has been on steady day and night for over a month now. Just like a predator eye.

·
Banned
825 Posts
LIGHTS have created NO PROBLEMS for ME. ( In fact, I DO think they help....at least with "laying eggs in Winter"....a couple extra hours of LIGHT Morning and Evening.)
What does allow PREDATORS to bother the chickens is INSUFFICIENT FENCING !
( I haven't had a BEAR Problem here and think it is unlikely. LOTS of other critters around...Fox, ****, Mountain Lion, Bobcat, Coyote, Feral Dogs, Hawks, Owls,,,,,,,,,)
ONLY a BIG ****....(and an Owl).... have actually succeeded....THEY are SMART and Tenacious. DEAD ****...no more problem.

Lights MIGHT attract a Government "Drone" however ! Ha-Ha !!! (especially "GROW-Lights ! )
Ha-Ha !!!
-ReTIRED- :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts