Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you waiting and waiting and waiting for your chicks to get here, how about a thread so we can all wait together.

My new chicks wont be shipped until April 3rd so I figure they'll be here the 5th. I am getting 21 chicks, 2 geese, 2 ducks, and 2 turkeys from Cackle:)
So as of today 2/20 I have 43 days to go :(

How about everyone else, when will your chicks be delivered? What are you receiving? Who did you order from?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Apyl !

My pullets will be arriving on April first. Actually I will be picking them up at my local country store. I am adding some new girls to my little flock. Four Cinnamon Queens. Hoping I will be able to sneak them under my broody mom's but if not they get Will get the guest suite in the house :D

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Apyl !

My pullets will be arriving on April first. Actually I will be picking them up at my local country store. I am adding some new girls to my little flock. Four Cinnamon Queens. Hoping I will be able to sneak them under my broody mom's but if not they get Will get the guest suite in the house :D
Sounds good. Picking up at the country store reminds me Chick days starts soon I better stock up on feed friday so I dont end up going during chick days and buying more chicks lol .

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should get my polish, Jersey Giants, and my Buff Orps at the end of April. Wish it was next week.
I had a Buff Orp rooster last summer. He was so cool but he was one of our meat birds so he went to freezer camp. I wouldnt mind getting another. I have 10 pullets , 1 rooster, and 10 rare all hatchery choice coming.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Apyl, No countdown for me but that is "one" cute picture you posted. :)

·
23 Posts
I am hoping to get mine in a few day from a local feed store, It was the first thing I did when we moved here was to find out where the feed store was lol.
I was told in March they will have the Golden Comets and Americauna's, I am getting those for just Egg Production, This week I think they have RIR, NH Reds I like them better, and Production Reds, Next week will be my Australorps and Buffs, and April is the one I am really waiting on my Silkies will come in. I also have Frizzle eggs to go and get in a few days, and some Mixed breed chicks that someone was trying to do Olive Eggers and she did it backwards so she dropped them off at a mutual friend of ours and she called and told me to come ad get them lol.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found something to kill my time until my chicks get here :) I happen to come across someone giving away Quail eggs to hatch :) :) They only take like 17 days to hatch and 6 weeks to be fully mature so I 'll have them hatched and out of the brooder well before my other babies come.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds good. Picking up at the country store reminds me Chick days starts soon I better stock up on feed friday so I dont end up going during chick days and buying more chicks lol .
Wish I had a TS near us. Closest is Shawano over 70+ miles to our south. Maybe not such a bad thing though. "But honey, I just went for feed and they followed me home!" Hehehe

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a question while we're waiting. Medicated or non-medicated chick starter? What do you think? My pullets we already be vaccinated for Mereks. Heard yes and no. Anyone have any input?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Apyl said:
I found something to kill my time until my chicks get here :) I happen to come across someone giving away Quail eggs to hatch :) :) They only take like 17 days to hatch and 6 weeks to be fully mature so I 'll have them hatched and out of the brooder well before my other babies come.
Wow, I could not stand to wait this amount of time that you guys are. I'm impatient! But, I do hatch button quails and they are so much fun and cute! I just hatched out 9 and my 2nd female just started laying so I'm gonna try and hatch her eggs too. Let us know how that goes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, last time I try. Posts keep disappearing. Anyone have an opinion on Medicated chick starter? Use or not use?

·
Registered
144 Posts
All my chicks are always vaccinated for mareks disease and mcmurrary suggested to use medicated feed. I ordered 45 chicks 3 weeks ago and there all doing great! Medicated feed only makes sense to me! Can't go wrong!

If you are using medicated feed and simultaneously, meticulously, removing each and every dropping from your brooder and keeping your chicks away from your soil, you are preventing them from building resistance to a deadly disease.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a question while we're waiting. Medicated or non-medicated chick starter? What do you think? My pullets we already be vaccinated for Mereks. Heard yes and no. Anyone have any input?
If you vaccinate your chicks you need to use non-medicated starter. If you use medicated it will void out the vaccine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you vaccinate your chicks you need to use non-medicated starter. If you use medicated it will void out the vaccine.
Thank you Apyl! What about cocci? Thought that is what the medicated starter is also for or am I wrong? What do you think of NUtrena chick starter? I really like the idea of the pro and pre biotics and I only feed Nutrena to current girls.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts