Cougar sightings

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by patlet, Dec 7, 2012.

1. patlet

patlet New Member

Well this is a scary time for us woods folk! A neighbor saw a cougar cross a road two over from us. A deer kill was found one road over and we have experienced two incidents that are probably the same critter. My horses are open penned and we pay attention to them. A bear walking down the road brought their tails up and a bit of prancing. I was on my gelding when we saw two lynx in the yard, he was alert but even though one of them was not more than 20 feet away, he didn't carry on. But last night, oh man! They were snorting and blowing, running around like fools and very very nervous! We went out, armed, with flashlights, but we didn't see or hear anything. Scary scary scary. I have read that with cougars you make sure you keep standing, face the cat and never give up. Does anyone have any advice for us? This is a heavily wooded town, with a lot of horses. The dogs wouldn't stand a chance, and we would hate to have to shoot it (unless we had to of course). Fish & Game doesn't believe anyone when they say they saw a cougar in NH, since they're "extinct" here. However, too many people have been seeing and hearing things to be coincidence. Would really appreciate advice from folks on this one!

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

We have the same problem here in Upper Michigan. Trail cams have been making it very clear the cougars are here. Right now there is a picture on facebook of a cougar having taken down an huge beautiful buck in Alger County. Cougars have always been around so I don't know why the dnr was in such denial about it. Stupid. Only thing I know of to do for your horses is to lock them in a barn/shed at night and keep the .44 handy.

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

We have been carrying while doing chores for over a year now ... We had/have a lion cross running around. (somewhere) The news report said it was a "pet" that had excaped. It was last spotted in Oct. about 30 miles west of us.

As for cougar/panther/mt. lions yea, we have had more than a few sightings. Not to long ago a local news reporter caught one on film and showed it on the news. The wildlife folks said it could be a cougar ... but they didn't think so. :rolleyes: I guess they think we are "stupid" ...

Keep an eye open and stay safe.

4. patlet

patlet New Member

Thanks guys. Today all the chickens went "up". Perched on railings and rooftops. Nothing was seen, but a vixen had cruised thru the other day. So at least the chickens are smart enough to be safe. Another neighbor had his deer kill taken off its hanger, so I guess the cougar was content with that because it's all quiet here tonight. It amazes me how F&G keep ignoring all this evidence! A local newspaper man who specializes in outdoorsy stuff had a pic sent to him of a cougar not ten miles from here...what a controversy it caused! The reporter checked it out and concluded it was authentic but because there was only one pic, and it showed the cougar in a "taxidermy stance" it was pooh-poohed. Even eyewitnesses and prints aren't enough! One was killed by a car up north a bit but it had "escaped". Whatever. We pay attention and carry weapons if need be. The "experts" aren't here when we experience these things.

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

After the story ran about the African lion/tiger cross running around, I did some research only to find out that in NC you can keep them as a pet. (which was a surprise to me)

So to be honest ... it is hard to tell what other wild critters have "escaped"

:eek:

6. patlet

patlet New Member

Truly! It's unlawful in NH unless you're a zoo or rehab place ( but how can you rehab an "extinct" critter ?). However I believe Maine can own them. Apparently they're not extinct there. (^^;)

7. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

There has been scat found on the west shore of the LP (Sleeping Bear Dunes), but there aren't any down here, either.:eek:

8. FierceCritter

FierceCritter New Member

Hi. Can anyone link me to the picture on Facebook? Thanks.

9. rob

rob New Member

im glad we dont get them here in the uk

10. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Interesting ...

Do you have the smaller cats like the Bobcat or any bears?

11. Diane

Diane New Member

I'm in Old Lyme CT, they 'swear' there are no cougars here either. However, there have just been to many sightings and people aren't idiots, to dismiss it..There was one killed on a highway about 10 months ago, determined it came from out west, but that just must have been a 'fluke'.yeah right.

I am always checking this site out http://ctmountainlion.org/ mostly ct sightings, but interesting nonetheless.

A sighting was reported about a mile from my house, and then numerous people saw the cougar..We have a few bears where I am, but I haven't seen one yet. TONS of deer, fox, bobcat,, I can't free range my chickens because of hawks and critters, they have a huge run, that is critter proof (I hope:)

I would love to see one in the wild, but I want to know where it is before I see it:)

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'll send you a photo of me. Then you can have a pic of a cougar. Lol. Hehehe

13. patlet

patlet New Member

energyvet...you are the best! Lolololol!

14. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

A local trail cam caught a panther during the night (about 20 miles away) ... wildlife folks have nothing to say as of this time.

15. patlet

patlet New Member

Yeah it's a amazing how F&G ignores the evidence. Maybe they think it'll cause a panic or some such.

16. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

That made me laugh!!!:D

17. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

If I were a betting man....NH, CT, VT and Maine more than likely have "Eastern" Mountain Lions because one was recently killed in upstate New York and has been well documented by that states wildlife officals!!!! Certainly stands to reason that these lions could be in your states as well....doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

18. patlet

patlet New Member

Well F&G here just don't believe it's possible! Someone took a great picture of one in western NH and man, did the barbs come out! The picture taker was called a liar, a cheat, and every other name the media could think of...no surprise he(or she) wanted to remain anonymous! Even our resident outdoorsman columnist had to take a bucket load of crap for believing the picture taker. It was really sad. There has been another sighting, just southeast of us, officially in Mass, but, as usual, we must all be loony liars who don't know a mountain lion from a house cat. Sigh.

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

:-(. ..............