Coop incorporations and advice for newbie

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by jacobowens1994, Dec 12, 2019.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Don't bet on there not being snakes. When I still lived in Va just outside of DC, one of the guys I worked with got some up close and personal time with a rattle snake. He lived in the burbs.

Coons are night time critters, chances are you won't see them. But if you saw a possum chances are high there's coons around too. It's not as much of an issue if the girls are up at night and have secure latches to keep them out.

Maryellen likes this.
  2. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Owls hunt at night. My run is kennel chain link with more wire so nothing can get in. The tarp on top is over more chain fencing to keep predators out and support the tarp. small hawks can squeeze thru small openings( had a coopers hawk squeeze thru a 4 inch gap in my run that we missed securing. ).
    Weasels and minks can squeeze in holes as well. Rats,well they are the ultimate predator as they can dig a foot underground to eat eggs, chicken food. And sometimes chickens. Raccoons can grab birds thru chain link and small wires . Even if you live in a suburban area or city there are fox,skunk, opossum, hawks owls....
    The more you predator proof the run and coop the better. But... when free ranging all bets are off unless you have a livestock guardian dog that lives with and guards the birds 24/7

jacobowens1994 likes this.

3. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Be careful the hens dont fall into the nest boxes you have blocked off. Hens can be real stupid and get themselves stuck, hung up, and crammed in spaces you never thought they could fit in

jacobowens1994 likes this.
  4. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

All of my runs are solid roofs but they have free range in the yard and garden (when I don't have food growing) which has no roof. Just 2 weeks ago a coopers hawk tried to go off with one of my SLW's, luckily my husband was out there and scared it off. My main point is that I live in town, my nearest neighbor is 35 ft from me. We have possums, raccoons, snakes and mice/rats. Predators are everywhere, doesn't matter where you live. (obviously mice and rats are not threats to the chickens in this sense but they do carry diseases and steal eggs). Dogs will dig underneath fencing if they really want whats in there. It's always best to err on the side of caution. I know it's a lot of extra work but in the end, it's worth it.

jacobowens1994 and Maryellen like this.
  5. robin416

I have a very good example of why we're all so paranoid about something getting into our birds.

Yesterday morning I went out to find something got past my hotwire and killed all but 3 of my quail. I worked all day reinforcing the chain link so if they get past the hotwire again they would have to be the size of a mouse to get in.

And I'm going to add a third strand of hotwire to my setup.

6. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow Robin, I'm sorry about your quail. I hope you can keep them out from now on

7. robin416

This was the second time this happened to me. The first was right in the beginning when a raccoon got into my Guinea pen. That was a bunch of years ago.

Nothing ever got in again when I got done.

So far, what I've done is working or it hasn't been back. I heard the fox out there again last night. I hate having the fox out there but it is also a deterrent to things that could break into the pen.

Sylie likes this.