Coop incorporations and advice for newbie

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by jacobowens1994, Dec 12, 2019.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

You were lucky, Sylie. The one I had couldn't be bothered so every few months I'd have to trim it for her. She had a concrete block she could use if she bothered.

2. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh wow, usually they like doing it. I haven't heard of one that didn't until now. Sorry :( that must have been a pain in the neck for you

jacobowens1994 likes this.

3. jacobowens1994

jacobowens1994 New Member

Ehh sorry the pic isn’t great quality I’ll have to get another when I get a chance!

4. Sylie

I couldn't zoom in clear, it pixelated on me but from what I can tell, it doesn't seem overly severe, as long as she's eating and drinking with no problems, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep a close eye on her.

5. robin416

Sylie, she was a Sikie. They can be quite the prima donnas.

What I noticed about the three birds is how much they've grown in such a short time. And like Sylie, I couldn't do much with the photo either.

6. Sylie

aaah gotcha! I've never had a silkie for more than a week, I baby sat 2 silkies for a week one time but have never raised them, no offense to anyone but I think they are hideous lol. Sorry!!

7. robin416

It doesn't hurt my feelings any at all. I don't like small dogs or naked neck chickens or fat cats (I have one).

8. Sylie

NN's are just nasty looking.

Maryellen likes this.
  9. jacobowens1994

A little better shot of reds beak
    IMG_3785.jpg

Maryellen likes this.
  10. robin416

That's not the genetic one, luckily because they get worse and worse over time. At some point you'll notice that the top beak is hanging over too much and will need a trim. Just use nail clippers and snip off the lighter area. Or try to get it to look like it does now.

Keep in mind that beaks are like fingernails, there is a quick. If you go too short it will bleed a ton. A cause her pain.

Sylie and jacobowens1994 like this.
  11. jacobowens1994

Is there anyway it will heal itself or will it def need trimmed?

12. robin416

Probability is that it will stay that way. What it won't do is get worse. Like I explained about the quick the beak grows just like fingernails. With the beak a little caddywhompers her upper beak won't wear like it would normally.

I had one, every few months I'd have to give her a quick clip. One time totally by accident I got it so her beak looked normal. It was never my intent, I just wanted her to be able to eat and drink without struggling.

Heck, even totally normal birds need to be clipped from time to time. Especially birds like show Silkies.

Have you seen pics of birds with the genetic form of cross beak? It's bad. I'm not sure I could let one live like that.

Many think that the type of cross beak your girl has is from injury at a very young age.

13. Sylie

Mine healed itself by rubbing it on a rock, Robin's didn't want to rub on a cement block.
    Mine looked exactly like yours, it's not bad. Just watch her that's all, I never have had to clip my birds beaks at all, I was tempted when they were fighting o_O lol (I would not do it for that reason, believe me) but the one with cross beak just spent a few months rubbing it on a rock and eventually it went away, her beak is totally normal now.
    I would see if you can find a rock that is relatively smooth, no jagged edges or sharp corners and see if she will take to that. If it bothers her enough, she'll do something about it. Sometimes I think we worry more about things than they do.

14. robin416

We're humans, of course we worry more about things they never even give a second thought.

15. jacobowens1994

Thank you guys so much
    So now with another question....
    How critical is predator proofing a run I see a lot of people do it with chicken wire and basic posts with a tarp? I would like to be able to leave the door open during the day and put them in the coop at night.. is it critical to use hardware cloth and go all out on predator proofing or can I save money and do it cheaply?

16. robin416

Depends on where you live. Or the wildlife you have in the area.

Here it's a waste of money to build something with poultry wire and expect that the wildlife in my area can't penetrate.

I had a racoon get into my original Guinea pen. It killed a lot of birds. I double wrapped poultry netting until I could make the necessary changes. The morning after I did that wrap I found where it had been tugging on the wire and broke through it but gave up when it came to the second layer.

If snakes are a problem, poultry netting is too big to keep them out.

And there is now way you can leave the three in the coop all day because it's too tight to do that.

Maryellen and jacobowens1994 like this.
  17. robin416

Night time is the biggest threat. That's when predators are most active. And unless you are behind a high fence don't think that predators like coyotes can't go over the fence, they can with ease.

Maryellen likes this.
  18. jacobowens1994

I’m in a neighborhood so I don’t think snakes will be an issue or coyotes just cats my dogs and I’ve seen a opossum at night one Time