Coop incorporations and advice for newbie

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by jacobowens1994, Dec 12, 2019.

1. jacobowens1994

jacobowens1994 New Member

Hello everyone I am new to chickens and bought my son 3 chicks about 5 weeks ago I have been slowly building there coop and am close to having it finished. I wish I would have joined this before I started anyways what are some things you would absolutely include in your coop and what’s some advice on raising chickens you’d wish you had!?
    I will try to get some pics posted ASAP on my progress and the girls! Thanks

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. Knowing the dimensions of your coop would help you decide what tweeks to make.

What I had with mine from the get go was a protected run attached to their coop. That way if there was any kind of threat in the area I could keep them safe and they didn't have to be locked up in the coop.

Not knowing how much you've taught yourself already it's kind of hard to give advice.

We all face different challenges in different parts of the country so sometimes what I might suggest is way off base if you live way up in the NW and I live down in the SE.

3. jacobowens1994

I do plan on adding a run the coop it is 4x4 and was built a little off of the ground. I plan on adding a 4 ft run for them it’s only for 3 hens unfortunately I live in the city and am hoping no one calls the city on me I live in southern Ca
    Super hot summers and mildly cold winters. I am having Trouble posting pics

4. robin416

Glad you figured out the pic posting problem. There is another that uses tapatalk and can't post pics.

Good floor space for the three. For a roost I always used a 2X4 with the wide side for my birds to rest on.

Because of your location you will probably need to do something about heat build up in the coop especially if you use a dark roofing material. Winter won't be an issue for you at all.

So many municipalities have been more open about backyard chickens, you might be fine. Heck, the two dogs probably make more noise than the chickens ever will. Well, except for when they lay an egg. That can be downright noisy.

Maryellen likes this.
  5. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

6. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Your coop looks great!

7. jacobowens1994

Thank you guys I will be doing work on it today trying to get it safe enough to put the girls in! I will still have to add some windows later, found some reasonable shed windows on amazon. Couple of questions, does the next box look to high or you think it will be okay if I can just get a roots higher?? And the girls are about 6 weeks when would be an adequate time to get them out of my garage??

8. robin416

It's what, about 18 inches high? That should be low enough for them. When you add a roost take into consideration that they have to have enough head room so they don't rub their combs on the roof.

You get to keep them as garage ornaments until they are least fully feathered. Even then, if your night time temps still get rather cool you might have them for a bit longer. Babies don't have fully developed internal thermometers so if they get chilled they struggle to warm their bodies up again.

All but one window in my coops were made by me. All opened too. So, you don't have to spend a ton of money on windows. It looks like you were handy enough to build the coop so windows are a possibility too. BTW, glass is not a good choice. I used plexi in mine.

9. robin416

I just went looking for a pic of my windows, unfortunately the one pic I found I hadn't put the windows in yet.

10. jacobowens1994

Perfect thank you! Did you just make a cut out square and do it like a door but with hardware cloth protecting the opening? I was thinking of doing that but haven’t decided yet. It’s been a long process and I’m very indecisive lol I keep changing my.mind on stuff and yes it’s 16 In. Off the floor of coop I should be able to get a roost a little higher we will see

11. robin416

Your best bet is to stand there and study it, try to visualize how the windows will impact how the coop works. It doesn't have to be huge, just something that allows airflow. Placing it high on the coop wall would allow for drawing air from the floor and allow for the heat to be pushed out in the upper vent (window).

My old coop was over 20 feet long and 12 foot wide. My windows were all retangular, hinged on the outside and lifted up to the outside. That way the windows could be left up in rainy weather. But, you probably won't deal with the rain issues that I did considering where you live. You could make a window that slides up from the outside with hardware cloth secured on the inside.

The only window I left open at night was the one man made window at the far end of the coop. It had hardware cloth on the outside to prevent unwanted guests. That window on the far end allowed heat to escape.

12. jacobowens1994

Just have a little trim work to do and make my roost ladder. Also build the run

13. robin416

Question, are predators an issue where you live? I see the open soffits, a perfect place for unwanted visitors to enter the coop. Those also negate the need for additional ventilation so putting a window where ever you want or can works out. It doesn't even have to be functional just something to allow the girls to look out.

And don't be surprised if you have to train the girls what the ramp is for. More than likely you'll find them sheltering under the coop at bedtime until they work out what it's for.

Maryellen likes this.
  14. sanderzzPT

sanderzzPT New Member

Jacob, thanks for sharing. I would consider about effective airflow through gaps at the bottom of the slab, when it would a little warmer temp, and how is that easy to clean or not. Anyway, when we talk about the best chicken coop, we should talk about how many of chicken you're gonna keep in it, right?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  15. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

What are the dimensions of the coop? did I see 4x4? It looks a little small for 3 to me. Maybe it's just the pictures. 4x4 is big enough for 1 hen. Trust me when I tell you, they WILL fight and tear each other's combs apart if they don't have enough space. I have one hen with only half a comb because I had 5 birds in a 5x8 coop. ( they now have a much bigger coop lol)

Maryellen likes this.
  16. robin416

Four foot by four foot is 16 square feet. The rule of thumb is 4 square feet open floor space per large fowl. Add in he's in CA his birds will be out more than in.