Coop Building Progress

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by TomC, Apr 14, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Here I was sure it was you that told her.

2. TomC

TomC Active Member

Oh, no, no, no. My honeydo list is already longer than I care to think about.

3. robin416

And as you focus on the secure digs for the feathered ones it gets longer and longer.

I know mine is but it's a list I've made for myself.

TomC likes this.
  4. TomC

TomC Active Member

Got the concrete poured today, wheel barrow had a flat and wouldn't take air, so I improvised and mixed the concrete in the loader bucket on the tractor, worked pretty well. Filled in the gaps that Sylie noticed. Spent most of the day cleaning, picking up tools, wire scrap, lumber scrap, etc. Started on covering the ground wire with wood chips.

Sylie likes this.
  5. robin416

And about the time you get that done all the waterers and feeders will needed a deep cleaning and the coop will need to be dusted. That's life with chickens.

6. TomC

TomC Active Member

Yes, I was thinking today, when I had them all out, that It's probably time to clean out the coop and put down fresh bedding. Project for this weekend.

7. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

They are a lot of work but they are sooooooo worth it, I don't know how I ever lived without chickens before I got my first ones.

TomC likes this.
  8. TomC

TomC Active Member

At least now I'm at the point where I can actually start enjoying them. There are still a lot of things I want to do, and am going to do. But, I think I've finally reached the end of the frantic, have to get it done now phase.

Sylie likes this.
  9. Slippy

Slippy Member

Awesome TomC

You've done a remarkable job! Kudos Sir!

TomC likes this.
  10. TomC

TomC Active Member

I cleaned and disinfected the coop today. Boy, that was fun. I also cleaned and disinfected the waterers and feeders. Put in all fresh water, feed, and bedding.

I also bought a couple of box fans and hung them from the ceiling. I've noticed over the last couple of days, several of the girls seem to be panting. It has been pretty warm, temps in the upper 80's and humidity 90+. I don't want anyone getting over-heated so the extra airflow should help.

Sylie and Slippy like this.
  11. robin416

That's the biggest struggle with some of them, the Silkies in particular when the temps climb.

Yep, that's the less fun part of bird keeping. The cleaning up after them.

12. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

some other "beat the heat" options are (my girls favorite option...) frozen treats, I put corn, peas, mealworms, sunflower seeds etc in a bowl, fill with water and freeze then give it to them when the temps start to get higher, usually in the low to mid 80's, they peck and eat the ice to get to the frozen treats, it cools them down from the inside, entertains them for as long as there are still treats in the ice lol and as long as the ice lasts and then, they have a fun bowl to toss around and kick like a soccer ball (my wyandottes are all about playing with things). There is also spraying water until it puddles in the run, they like to stand in the water to cool their feet which cools their bodies. (if you don't mind a mess, you can make a puddle pan inside the coop with any sort of rectangle shaped container that is low lipped so they can just step inside and step out again)

TomC likes this.
  13. TomC

TomC Active Member

Those are some great ideas, I'll keep them in mind. I also made 4 more water buckets and put them out in the run, so they don't have to come back into the coop to get a drink.

Sylie likes this.