Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Good job, congrats on the new coop. I so wish I could find somewhere to get pallets. Everywhere around here sells them back to pallet companies.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had to stop for the day due to severe weather. Darn it anyway!! :)
All in all, not a bad start! And it's bigger than I thought we'd have too! Chicken math, here I come! ;)

Plant Tree Wood Land lot Home fencing

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have a question - I want to paint the inside of the coop but is there a certain kind of paint I should use? How long before I can put the chickens in?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I just used whatever paint I already had laying around. Some was exterior, some was interior. Are you going to close up the spaces in the floor from the pallets? Unwelcome critters will make their way in otherwise.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
7chicks said:
I just used whatever paint I already had laying around. Some was exterior, some was interior. Are you going to close up the spaces in the floor from the pallets? Unwelcome critters will make their way in otherwise.
Oh yes, we'll put down plywood. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
When you do paint try to get white paint they call it white washing my gran parents did it my parents did it and I do as well it helps you telling you have a mite problem because you can see the little blood marks they leave around and I was told the bugs don't like to go in there cause its bright and bugs like dark places and its nicer for you as well cause you can tell if it needs a cleaning better with the light colour it has worked for me so far and I haven't had a mite or lice infestation yet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sorry I forgot to say if you can't get white paint u can use a mixture of lime and water and mix it to a consistency of paint and use that my gran parents could use paint they couldn't afford it. Make sure to use a mask when mixing it lime is hard on the lungs then wash all the inside down with it. And google it if you want there's a lot of info about white washing and it worked for me so far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I found a 50% off mistinted can of a light aqua blue, and I swear my girls just love it! And it has the same purpose as the white paint, so that we can find bugs. Feels very calming..
I'll see if I can learn how to download a picture and ill try to post it here

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hennypenny68 said:
When you do paint try to get white paint they call it white washing my gran parents did it my parents did it and I do as well it helps you telling you have a mite problem because you can see the little blood marks they leave around and I was told the bugs don't like to go in there cause its bright and bugs like dark places and its nicer for you as well cause you can tell if it needs a cleaning better with the light colour it has worked for me so far and I haven't had a mite or lice infestation yet.
Yes, that was the idea we had as well - white, is brighter, can see everything really well, less if a problem with bugs.

My friend approached me at church today with an offer of a big piece of corrugated opaque plexiglass for the roof; gonna see if that will work today. That will keep things lighter for sure, but will it get too hot in the summer and will it be too cold in the winter (Wyoming)? Any comments or ideas on that?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wonder if it will withstand the snow pack, 99.

Also, I have a couple of windows in the coop area, both for ventilation and light.
On one side I have those "portholes" looking windows and I have chicken wire stapled inside, so that no critters will go in.
And on the front side I have a teenie window (also stapled chicken wire inside) about the size of an 8"x10" picture frame, that can be kept open or closed with a super simple piece of wood latch

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have walls!!

Plant Vertebrate Wood Mammal Grass

I am also wondering about the snow - we usually have very dry snow, but in the spring we can get the heavy wet stuff. That's what happened this spring and it broke trees and actually killed some. They had already started getting their leaves. I know it is all reinforced with 2x4s, but still I wonder. In any event it will certainly be good for the summer and if needed I guess we can change it out. The guys just headed out to pick it up. Stay tuned! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rlabrum said:
I wonder if it will withstand the snow pack, 99.

Also, I have a couple of windows in the coop area, both for ventilation and light.
On one side I have those "portholes" looking windows and I have chicken wire stapled inside, so that no critters will go in.
And on the front side I have a teenie window (also stapled chicken wire inside) about the size of an 8"x10" picture frame, that can be kept open or closed with a super simple piece of wood latch
Yes, I plan to use hardware cloth in the windows for now. I'm going to go down to the recycle store and see if they have any small windows I can use. That will be much better in winter.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh and I was wrong about the roof - not plexiglass, it's fiberglass. And pretty thick, too, I might add ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts