Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started putting out grit and oyster shells. I chose heavy terra cotta containers. The hens have knocked everything over. What are others using to contain the mess a bit?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I don't do store bought calcium and oyster shells. My flock free ranges ( have sand for soil) as for calcium I give them egg shells when I throw the kitchen scraps out to them.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Animals will use Calcium and seek it out when they need it. Most layer feeds have Calcium in them. Even if they don't look like their using it they might dip in once every few weeks. Keep it available.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Any bowl will do, just build a wooden frame (the same height as the bowl and heavy) around it so they can't knock it over. Easy, cheap, effective. or you could take that one step further and just build them a flat bottomed box.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I add grit to the food, mine are too young for calcium yet but I'll add it in the baby feeder when time comes. This way they can get it when they want it and it won't spill. You can get the baby feeders really cheap like 2.00 for bottom piece 2
00 for top piece. Comes in handy for stuff like that. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just use the heavy Rabbit crocks! And Mine run free so they get all the grit they need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts