Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockerel is struggling to walk he lifts his feet realy high and stretches them out and when he flaps his wings he falls backwards he is not chasing the hens around anymore and is still eating drinking and when he has a poo he tips over and falls for two nights
In a row I have carried him to the coop I don't know what's wrong ???

·
Administrator
20,584 Posts
Check him over carefully, especially his ears. It could be many things but we're going to need more information about what you see and how old.

·
Administrator
20,584 Posts
Unless you can report your findings after you've examined him for anomalies there is absolutely nothing anyone can do for you.

I asked you to check his ears and all I see is crickets. If you want help, you will have to do some of the work. We can not see what is going on, we can not assess his condition without your input.

·
Administrator
20,584 Posts
Then look to a possible toxin. Or Mareks.

We don't need a video, I think most get the stumbling. A side shot showing his face is best.

·
Administrator
20,584 Posts
DE is ineffective on a current out break.

DE is an over hyped product that does not do all of the things advertised. Helping keep mites at bay with a dust bath? Sure. But the same results can be had using sand.

·
Administrator
20,584 Posts
That's good. What I've found is that sand is some of the best for keeping mites down to just about nothing.

What is he doing now?

·
Administrator
20,584 Posts
He appears to be molting. Did you check that spot directly behind is wattles where it looks like the feathers are sparse?

Everything you said he's doing says something is not right with his mechanical balance. 99% of the time that involves a problem with the inner ear, mites or ear infection. The other possibilities are tumor or toxins.

Its hard to tell from the pic but I'm not seeing the sparkle and interest you normally see in their eyes when all is right with them.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts