Cochin question

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by xxisabellaxx, Sep 27, 2012.

1. xxisabellaxx

xxisabellaxx New Member

I purchased a Buff cochin pullet back in may. She is 5 months old now and i was wondering do the bigger breeds like this perch. She can't and we have to put her up and take her down.

This is my girl:
    [​IMG]

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I have never had one that couldn't ... how high is the perch?

3. CountryMama

CountryMama Junior Member

We have a 5 month old Partridge Cochin cockerel and he perches on the roosts just fine. But he lays down to eat when we throw down scraps for them. LOL

4. CountryMama

Also, our lowest perch is about 5 or 6 inches off the ground. He easily hops up from one to the other until he's as high as he wants to go.

Attached Files:

5. xxisabellaxx

xxisabellaxx New Member

it's about 15 inches off the ground,and she weighs about 6 or 7 pounds.

6. CountryMama

That's pretty high. Can you put one or two more in, ladder fashion?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  7. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

lower the perch and see if that helps....my Buckeye's are 9 pounds plus (males) and the first "rung" on my roost ladder is about 10" off the floor and each "rung" is spaced about 12" apart....this works well for heavy breeds. Roosts that are too high can also cause leg and feet problems with the larger breeds..."bumblefoot" can be more problematic in heavy breeds where high roosts are used!

NOTE - mine are similar to "countrymommas" photo!!!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  8. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

My first rung is about 12 inches off the ground and the others follow the same ... so maybe add a rung to see if that helps ...

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I think you have a smart little girl who has someone wrapped around her little claw. ;) Seriously though, my big girls are okay perching and their perch is about 3 feet off the floor. They're in the 6-7 lb range for the 4 biggest girls. She's pretty! What's her name?

10. xxisabellaxx

xxisabellaxx New Member

Her name is June Bug. Sometimes I think she tricking us.

11. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

She very well can be tricking ya's. :p Chickens are darned smart. They learn things quick! I have one rhode island that loves to play sneak & attack games on my german shep dog all the time. Its hilarious to see. The two will play back and forth for a few minutes. Who'd have thought - a big dog and a sassy chicken playing together?!?! I just wish I could catch it on video. I keep trying! :)