Chicken Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
I don't understand why you have such issue with the little D's and their nests. I didn't have any issues with mine. Never even gave it a thought.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don't get it either. Either it's the feathered feet or one of them is pushing eggs out. I think I will do the same as I did the cochin; remove one hen from the breeding pen. Right now, only the porcelain is laying so the choice is easy. I'd rather not have the golden neck free ranging with the phoenix so I'll probably set up another breeding pen and Boots the d rooster can take turns in each pen.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The Poofy boys had been working out well, both coming to be held and petted until three days ago when the biggest one attacked his brooding hen. He tore up her face pretty bad and demolished the nest that had the call duck eggs; one day before they were to start hatching. Three eggs ware smashed and the rest scattered around the pen. When I saw what he was doing I removed the rooster and fixed up the nest and put the eight remaining eggs back where the hen could continue to brood them. Two hatched and I assisted three more for a total of five ducklings. The other three eggs were too badly damaged and the ducklings died before piping. In the meantime, Big Poof attacked his brother and would have killed him if I hadn't interceded. Then the attack went on to other roosters, hens, and ducklings. I won't have a mean rooster and I won't sell one or give it away. OM-sorry, I put Big Poof down for the safety of everything else. I have never seen a rooster go on a killing rampage before this. Those roosters and hens that could fly spent the afternoon high up. Surprisingly the Phoenix roosters did not challenge him; just got out and up where he couldn't get.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Oh. My. Goodness!

I cannot believe that! That breaks my heart on so many levels- I am SO SORRY that happened. What on earth could have happened to make him 180 so badly????

I don’t blame you for what you had to do, it is what it is. I hate that but I understand of course. That’s insane.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I don’t think I’m going to tell Tristan quite what happened there if you don’t mind. He’s already gotten incredibly timid around any roosters- still won’t even be around Tiny or Chip unless they’re being held right now. I really am just shocked and I cannot believe that happened. He was never that aggressive before. Other than when Chip lost a little piece off his waddle.

Point being, let me sit on it and I’ll let you know what I tell him about the situation. Not quite a lie but probably not the truth either. Unsure. I’m very sorry for your losses Dan. Incredibly strange.

Edit- did you get any babies from him? Just curious...

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've never had such a meek and mild rooster just... change for no apparent reason. While I had his hen brooding duck eggs, I had 10 of their eggs in the incubator. Now that the ducklings are safely in the brooder, I gave the 10 eggs back to mother cochin to hatch next week and raise; they are from Big Poof. Such a shame to lose so many ducklings and such a beautiful rooster as well. Time to check on Little Poof and Blue who were both beat up pretty badly. If I hadn't been outside, Little Poof would have been killed. While I was putting Little Poof away for safeties sake Blue was attacked and the process was repeated. I thought of caging Big by himself, but just didn't see the point when he'd never be safe to have around.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Right. I had considered it myself; I thought, well I wonder if he could have isolated... but then you can’t ever trust him again regardless. Ultimately I logically followed the same path you did I guess.

That is such a shame, I hate that he did that to everyone, but I’m really glad poor TickTock had you out there to save him. That’s just.... wow. Glad you do have the eggs at least. Poor babies, I hope Blue and TT heal up nicely for you. I’m stunned. Still.

Did you consider a necropsy? I guess it’s too late now but wonder if that could’ve pinpointed anything...

·
Registered
856 Posts
I feel the need to insert something positive here.

Hensley is pulling right along- each day I see more activity from her, but each day her flock mates are getting less tolerant too. They seem to like perching on her head. So. She stays with us during the days, but she does still cuddle up with them at night, and a visit during the day only if nobody is here to keep an eye on her otherwise. If she’s alone she’s a screamer. So that doesn’t work. I tried. But she feels like she gained a little weight back finally. She’s been drinking some more again and I think that’s made the biggest difference there. I was forcing a drink on her every hour some days just to be sure she get some in her. Anyway- here she is, our silkied little handicapped poofy girl!

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
I have no words. I don't think we'll ever understand why something like this happens.

OM, it makes things a touch better to read that Hensley is still hanging even if the others want to perch on her head. It might be their way of telling her to get out of bed.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Basically! And she’s almost to the point she can start pushing them off- she’s easily their size when healthy anyway. She is standing and taking more steps, we still have the when it goes downhill it snowballs really quickly into a fluffy mass of writhing poof.... but if we can get our hand on her back when it starts she can usually regain her balance. Def odd.

Truly a tragic court one for the poofy boy. Bad for everyone for sure. There were never any indications of anything like that- they were just FINE- you know Dan would’ve booted him right out if he hadn’t been. I don’t get it, I guess none of us will, it just is. They’re animals.... what makes sense to them is totally illogical to us sometimes..... and so it goes. We can’t allow it to be illogical. Hopefully the offspring won’t carry that psycho gene in there! I’m kidding. It wasn’t genetics, least I’m 99% sure it wouldn’t be. Anyway. Again, sorry to you for the losses Dan, that’s a shame. I’m so happy you recovered as many as you did.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
That's positive on her improvement. It's been a slow go with her. But everyday seems like a tad more advancement in her mobility. If she had given up no way would she eat anything.

You know they can have neuro things happen to them just like us. I've only seen it a couple of times but they can develop brain tumors, short circuits just like we can.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
OM-I see a huge difference in Hensley's eyes; a good/positive difference showing she is on the road to recovery-yeah. If you don't know what I'm referring to check out the difference in the eyes in today's picture compared to previous pictures.

I have concluded that there is a genetic problem with the cochin I got in that trade so many months ago. Now I know why the guy was so eager to have the trio gone and someone else's problem. Hensley is not the only chick to have problems. A younger sister developed a club foot when she was normal at hatch. A brother has leg feathering huge for its size and another with scissor beak. I won't be pairing Blue to the splash hens again. Hopefully, there won't be problems with the partridge/splash cochin chicks hatching next week.

Sorry OM, I wish I had known of this genetic issue before I gave the chick to you.

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
I've never had such a meek and mild rooster just... change for no apparent reason. While I had his hen brooding duck eggs, I had 10 of their eggs in the incubator. Now that the ducklings are safely in the brooder, I gave the 10 eggs back to mother cochin to hatch next week and raise; they are from Big Poof. Such a shame to lose so many ducklings and such a beautiful rooster as well. Time to check on Little Poof and Blue who were both beat up pretty badly. If I hadn't been outside, Little Poof would have been killed. While I was putting Little Poof away for safeties sake Blue was attacked and the process was repeated. I thought of caging Big by himself, but just didn't see the point when he'd never be safe to have around.
My condolences, but I have seen it a couple of times in my life, like a switch has been flipped and then unbelievable carnage that doesn't stop until you intervene.. I have seen some downright strange stuff this Spring also. The behavior where my silkie roo latched on to the tom turkey's tail feathers happened again last evening before dusk. The tom was running around with the silkie firmly attached. He has broken three big tail feathers that way. I thought it was an isolated incident but I guess not.

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
I'm not really sorry, PJ, that I'm laughing. I can picture that happening in my head and it's hilarious.
It's the strangest thing and it happens to quickly to get a pic. Yesterday evening at dusk I was wondering what the fuss was and why the tom turkey was running, he never runs. and then I saw the silkie roo hanging on, kind of firmly attached to the lower part of his tail. Bizarre, they get along most of the time.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My condolences, but I have seen it a couple of times in my life, like a switch has been flipped and then unbelievable carnage that doesn't stop until you intervene.. I have seen some downright strange stuff this Spring also. The behavior where my silkie roo latched on to the tom turkey's tail feathers happened again last evening before dusk. The tom was running around with the silkie firmly attached. He has broken three big tail feathers that way. I thought it was an isolated incident but I guess not.
A real shame to have to destroy such a beautiful bird; I saw no suitable alternative. The other Poof cochin is pretty beat up but he will heal up fast. He a wonderful little guy who is now free ranging with the phoenix now that all the phoenix hens are brooding or have chicks. At any time I can just walk out and pick him up without him trying to get away. He seems to like the attention.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Well I’d say at this point we are oh for oh, Dan! I clearly gave you one with a crazy gene mixed in there. That’s just crazy- I hate that it happened bc he WAS a sweet guy otherwise. Wild. I’m glad his bro seems to be doing better tho, poor little guy! He had to be baffled as to why he kept getting his butt kicked by his brother.... TickTock was always an easygoing bird though, I’m sure glad he has stayed that way and is working out.

As for Miss Hens- we couldn’t be happier about her recovery, however slow. Those first couple weeks were slow going, and I had plenty of nights where I said goodbye just in case she didn’t peep at me in the morning... But she finally started drinking enough again and that has helped tremendously. She was dehydrated most of those two weeks despite my best efforts- and I refused to do anything drastic bc with her as she is I wanted it to be totally her choice... But now she IS ralllying. I’m proud of her. We already know she will likely be a house chicken. It’s ok with us. She will also likely get a diaper so she can wander more, but that depends on a lot of stuff, so will see.

Dan I’m so sorry you have others to care for with problems as well, that’s such a shame! Because she is absolutely stunning otherwise, I’ll be honest. And sweet as can be. And clearly a fighter too. Not your fault, stuff happens.

·
Registered
856 Posts
OM-I see a huge difference in Hensley's eyes; a good/positive difference showing she is on the road to recovery-yeah. If you don't know what I'm referring to check out the difference in the eyes in today's picture compared to previous pictures.

I have concluded that there is a genetic problem with the cochin I got in that trade so many months ago. Now I know why the guy was so eager to have the trio gone and someone else's problem. Hensley is not the only chick to have problems. A younger sister developed a club foot when she was normal at hatch. A brother has leg feathering huge for its size and another with scissor beak. I won't be pairing Blue to the splash hens again. Hopefully, there won't be problems with the partridge/splash cochin chicks hatching next week.

Sorry OM, I wish I had known of this genetic issue before I gave the chick to you.

Also, I figure we might trade some treatment items and see if there’s any common theme that might help. I’ve been loading Hens up with plenty of Omegas and anything else I can think of that assists in neurological pathway maintenance etc. So called brain foods- figure they work for us so they can’t hurt for theirs. Blueberries a ‘super food’ that she will eat, that kind of stuff. No idea if it has helped but she is starting to recover some, so I guess it’s not hurting.
And there are the other things we have talked about feeding her to keep her general nutrition and energy up too- NutriDrench, the hand feed, etc.
ok, just thought it was worthy info to add to the topic!

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
TickTock is a grand little guy and doing much better. I looked at the calendar and the cochin eggs hatch Monday; I'm hoping to get calico splash.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts