Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overmountain-I have just looked over the Poofy Boys and I am beyond thrilled; they are what I'd hoped Blue would be. Where did you get these two because they sure don't look like hatchery birds? They are absolutely beautiful. And ALL the main show traits, they possess; even a five point comb; that trait isn't easy to get if the breeding stock doesn't have it. While both are great the bigger of the two has the better build. I wasn't too excited about the cochin before but I am now. Poofy Boys are close to show quality and I look forward to getting some chicks from them. Thank you. I can't remember their names. Tick-tock? Clock?? ??????

Robin-Poofy Boys are the same size as Blue or so close it hardly matters.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
You sound really excited to have them. That's always a bonus. Now you've got something really solid to work with.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, very excited to have birds where there's such a strong possibility of success in a breeding program.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Awesome!! I’m so glad to hear you say that; I had the same thoughts myself about them but I just don’t know enough yet to say that definitely- I wouldn’t want to claim he was when he wasn’t- but IS a beautiful beautiful boy.
We got super lucky with our stock from hatcheries and stores with Jackie and Chip from TS, and our porcelain D’Uccles, Charlie, and poofs came from the Texas hatchery... shoot. Ideal. That’s it! Ideal Poultry. I’m so glad you’re happy with them! They’re really quite good boys- have you noticed how they stick right by one another? Twins I tell ya! Except in looks.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are very nice and so tame. Both came right to me when their cage was open and made no protest at being picked up and held. They will be very easy to work with. Their only flaw is they stand a bit too upright and that will work well with my hens who are too horizontal. This should work out very well indeed.

I'm feeling much better than yesterday. First the loft and then to get the Poofy Boys set up with their new wives.

HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yay! I hope they find their loves acceptable, as they might actually be the appropriate size for those boys! They looked soooo awkward with those poor little D’Uccle girls.
I couldn’t be happier that you are pleased- and I agree, especially TickTock (TT) stands a bit too vertical but that really does sound like it’ll all be a good match to work with. I’m excited to see what they can produce as well!
This little stinker has taken over from momma completely now. How on earth have you managed to breed them so sweet and loving? He’s too young to even really have that instinct- or he would be if he was any other type I guess! I can’t get over it, and I cannot thank you enough. We are all thrilled- my hubbs included- with them all. They are each beautiful and unique. So names stand as follows-
White- Manda Bowie, we’ve been calling her Boo for short.
Largest brown is Heidi, smallest brown with the darker head is Susie Q.
Little fella still unnamed, but we have Alarma (usually just say it like ‘larma lol) and then the little poofy girl is now Third Wheel. Named by Tristan and not me- by accident, but it’s too perfect. Prob call her Three or something for short.
So- this stinker is who I meant- here he is keeping them both warm and safe. He’s protective too already. Love it.

This is what happens when you plant eggs- you get a bunch of chickens popping up in the pot!

This was all the exploring we accomplished today. They like the pot. And the rail. That was good enough! Lol it’s ok, no rush. See that tree in the left of the picture? The coop is going just beside that, across from the other barn basically. As soon as we can rent anything to dig the hole with we are getting started- prob is everything has been booked for months! It’s nuts! We may have an alternative, but these ladies were just the kick in the rear the hubbs needs to find something elsewhere. Love them all so much Dan. You have beautiful birds, and I don’t know if I said this or not, but I loved the Serama coop, around the tree like that! It’s awesome!!! The entire yard and area is really nice, actually, I would’ve loved to have gotten there before dark! Oh well. Blame the construction workers! (Truth! Mostly anyway- it def wouldn’t have been full dark anyway....) So thank you for taking the time to show us around- it’s awesome! Tristan still giggles about the turkey just letting out the random gobble. We both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad and thank you for your kindness. The boys seem to like their new hens. Blue is the only unhappy bird in his bachelor quarters. Stinker is the results of years of selective breeding. Personality is a trait high on he list for serama I'm considering for breeding stock. All those things that make up personality are passed on by the parents. Some of my first serama were as mean as snakes and could never be a pet. Again, thank you for the kind words.

·
Super Moderator
3,263 Posts
Yay! I hope they find their loves acceptable, as they might actually be the appropriate size for those boys! They looked soooo awkward with those poor little D’Uccle girls.
I couldn’t be happier that you are pleased- and I agree, especially TickTock (TT) stands a bit too vertical but that really does sound like it’ll all be a good match to work with. I’m excited to see what they can produce as well!
This little stinker has taken over from momma completely now. How on earth have you managed to breed them so sweet and loving? He’s too young to even really have that instinct- or he would be if he was any other type I guess! I can’t get over it, and I cannot thank you enough. We are all thrilled- my hubbs included- with them all. They are each beautiful and unique. So names stand as follows-
White- Manda Bowie, we’ve been calling her Boo for short.
Largest brown is Heidi, smallest brown with the darker head is Susie Q.
Little fella still unnamed, but we have Alarma (usually just say it like ‘larma lol) and then the little poofy girl is now Third Wheel. Named by Tristan and not me- by accident, but it’s too perfect. Prob call her Three or something for short.
So- this stinker is who I meant- here he is keeping them both warm and safe. He’s protective too already. Love it.

This is what happens when you plant eggs- you get a bunch of chickens popping up in the pot!

This was all the exploring we accomplished today. They like the pot. And the rail. That was good enough! Lol it’s ok, no rush. See that tree in the left of the picture? The coop is going just beside that, across from the other barn basically. As soon as we can rent anything to dig the hole with we are getting started- prob is everything has been booked for months! It’s nuts! We may have an alternative, but these ladies were just the kick in the rear the hubbs needs to find something elsewhere. Love them all so much Dan. You have beautiful birds, and I don’t know if I said this or not, but I loved the Serama coop, around the tree like that! It’s awesome!!! The entire yard and area is really nice, actually, I would’ve loved to have gotten there before dark! Oh well. Blame the construction workers! (Truth! Mostly anyway- it def wouldn’t have been full dark anyway....) So thank you for taking the time to show us around- it’s awesome! Tristan still giggles about the turkey just letting out the random gobble. We both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!
Love the chickens in the pot!

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is Kimmi's pet cochin. Three weeks old. I don't remember if she named it or not. They certainly grow fast!

chicky.jpg

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awww a little cutie! I think they’re going to be really pretty.
Since these cochin are new to me I do not know what to expect as far as color goes. The transition from juvenile to adult can change their colors drastically. Right now my guess is that this one will be a blue and white splash when it matures. Mom is black and white splash and dad is blue.

My splash serama start life a solid color or colored on top with a white breast and then turn splash with their adult molt.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since these cochin are new to me I do not know what to expect as far as color goes. The transition from juvenile to adult can change their colors drastically. Right now my guess is that this one will be a blue and white splash when it matures. Mom is black and white splash and dad is blue.

My splash serama start life a solid color or colored on top with a white breast and then turn splash with their adult molt.
OM- The picture I replied with on our email is an example. He now looks like the poofy boys did when they were young but he'll become a splash with his first molt.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed tonight that one of the cochin hens is on the nest. If she were a serama or phoenix I'd know she had gone broody and mark tomorrow as the begin date. Not having any experience with these hens I can only hope.

A d'Uccle is also on her nest. Same situation as above with the cochin. Does anyone know if those long leg feathers should be clipped for brooding eggs?

I could use some broody hens about now. I have some call duck eggs coming in the mail next week.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
Leave their poor legs alone. Sheesh.

You know first time broodies, sometimes it's just a head fake.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leave their poor legs alone. Sheesh. Those very long leg feathers are hardly natural and could cause problems in brooding-Experiment time. The cochin's leg feathers are quite short when compared to the d'Uccle; those feathers must be six-seven inches long.

You know first time broodies, sometimes it's just a head fake.

It could be nothing and probably is but with 13 eggs in her nest (10 for the d'Uccle), if they're a broody type it should be soon.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
After raising both the D's and Silkies I can tell you the leg feathers do not interfere with incubation.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes! I’ve noticed that on all my D’Uccles- they are incredibly long.... until they wear them off to about an inch and a half. That seems to be a universally acceptable length for my bunch anyway. Until that time they act irritated at anything other than a hard solid surface to walk on because they trip up so often!
The poofy boys are my only experience so I couldn’t say; I would bet everyone does alright though, or they wouldn’t otherwise have made it as such a popular backyard breed either, or at least as readily. And, the feathers stick out to the sides once they’re down on anything. Despite no professional opinion in the least, I still think they will do just fine. If I’m wrong you can beat me over the head with a sack when you see me next!

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally, one of the cochin has gone broody. It would seem that they were not happy in their old coop and run.

OK on the d feet. Eggs are being knocked from the nest as soon as they have several. I will wait to clip the feathers until I have observed more and see the why of it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts